Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Why, oh why do my pubes hurt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why, oh why do my pubes hurt?
Mikarin
Neophyte
Member # 31156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikarin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've never had this problem before until just recently (3 or so days ago). I don't like to shave of all my pubic hair but lately... it's been *hurting* me. Like it's suddenly become too coarse and is irritating my skin or something and it sort of hurts to touch it too. But my skin doesn't look red... but it itches when I wear even slightly fitting pants and inevitably begins to sting/feel *very* uncomfortable. If I leave it alone and don't aggravate it, it still feels uncomfortable but not so bad.

Is it possible my skin is just dry/irritated, even though it doesn't look red? It doesn't hurt all the time and it is NOT crabs. Is there anything else I can do short of just shaving it all off (I just do not like the way this looks but if it'll stop the annoying sensation...)?

--------------------
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Posts: 19 | From: CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Zor-El
Activist
Member # 14499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Zor-El     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried using some moisturizing lotion on the area? Your skin could certainly just be too dry.

--------------------
"If you're going through Hell, keep going..."
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 123 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikarin
Neophyte
Member # 31156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikarin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using lotion and it hasn't been helping. I figure now that the itching/pain is more in the area where the cleft between the legs begins (maybe where my labia minora starts?). It pinches sometimes to cross my legs too. Very, very irritating.

[ 12-28-2006, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Mikarin ]

--------------------
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Posts: 19 | From: CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I figure now that the itching/pain is more in the area where the cleft between the legs begins (maybe where my labia minora starts?).

I think you mean the labia majora here, as that is the part of your vulva that starts near the cleft between the top of the leg and the genitals. If you actually do mean the labia minora (the labia that are nearer to your vagina) you need to see a doctor, as you could be describing a yeast infection. However, I think that you are actually describing chafing nearer your leg.

If your skin is irritated, then shaving could actually make the problem worse, as it could add shaving rash and ingrown hairs into the mix.

Have wearing different underwear than usual lately? Could something in your underpants or pantyhose be irritating your skin? Make sure you always wear pure cotton underpants, and no polyester, as this can make irritation worse. Changes in diet can also have an effect on your skin.

I'd recommend simply wearing loose clothing for a few more days, and whenever you can position yourself in a way so that you don't irritate the area. If it does go down after a couple more days, you might want to ask a doctor about it. (Again, I emphasise that this applies if the irritation you are experiencing is at the top of your leg-- if it's nearer your vagina, make a doctor's appointment immediately).

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikarin
Neophyte
Member # 31156

For me, at the part where the Y starts (the cleft--not sure of the medical term), there's a bit of the top of the right labia minora peeking through the folds of the labia majoras. I think it's always been like this for me, but it's itchy and pinching all of a sudden from my pubic hair, which isn't normal...

I'm not really doing anything different, but I'd been using Clotrimazole Cream on the area between my labia minora and majora due to an infection. Could this have affected my skin?

--------------------

katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate when that happens. Usually it goes away in a day or two for me. I just shower and sleep with no underoos.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ipsesloev
Neophyte
Member # 31520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ipsesloev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you dont shave you pubic region too often because that will surely irritate your skin. Try letting it grow back a cm or 2 in between shaves.

The tight fitting clothes may push down on your hair and that could cause ingrown hairs too so be carefull about that cuz they can hurt sometimes, especially when they cause red bumps.

Posts: 38 | From: tn | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.