Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Fibromyalgia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fibromyalgia
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I posted a while ago on General health and Nutrition (to no replies [Frown] ) about feeling pain in my ankle upon waking... well, it's spread everywhere now and it's pretty bad, and the walk-in doctor said my GP should test me for fibromyalgia based upon a host of symptoms I show.

I was just wondering, does anyone here have this, or have any good links/resources for info on it?

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, so sorry nobody responded to your other thread. I noticed that you replied to it yourself as an addition to your original post, so that might explain it (in the future, to avoid it looking like someone's responded to your thread when nobody really has, just press the little "pencil" icon next to the quote marks in the original post. it'll let you edit).

Second, I am also sorry that you're having to deal with all this. Hopefully your doctor will be able to get you a diagnosis and treatment ASAP.

I don't have any personal experience with fibromyalgia, but I found some good resources on the Net:

http://www.fmnetnews.com/
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/fibromyalgia.html
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/DS00079
http://www.fmaware.org/

Just be sure to mention any new changes in your body/sleep patterns/etc. Good luck.

[ 12-19-2006, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: faifai ]

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chandie Lee
Activist
Member # 27228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chandie Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy Leabug [Smile]

I'm sorry to hear that you may have to deal with fibromyalgia. I myself do not have it, but my mother does. There is one thing that I know of that could help... my mom won't do it because she's stubborn... physical therapy. Perhaps you could ask your physician more about it?

Hope all goes well for you.

--------------------
*Make me high on lullabiez <33*

Posts: 41 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts, United States | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies everyone! (and faifai- it's all good that nobody responded, I kind of figured that was why lol, and thanks for the links!)

I have read that physical therapy does help, and to be honest, even if I don't have anything serious it's probably not a bad plan anyway as my knees are constantly giving me trouble and I've had it recommended before.

They have physio at the private club where I'm an employee, so we get a 50% discount on physio sessions, so affordability wouldn't be an issue at least [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey leabug, I'm sorry to hear that you may have fibro. Chronic pain/fatigue syndromes are no fun at all, but at least finding out that you have one is a good step to coping with it. Fibro runs in my family as well, and it's so hard to explain to people that sometimes I'm tired or sore for no real reason. Here are a couple of topics I found in Support Groups that you can read/post to that might have some information for you as well:

Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Dealing with Chronic Illness

Sexuality and Disability
(This one's not really fibro specific, but there's a post about coping with sex while having it.)

I hope these reading materials help out. The most important thing is learning to listen to your body - with chronic pain/fatigue, pushing yourself doesn't always make you stronger, so it becomes a bit of a juggling act to determine how much activity is going to cost you. But many people with fibro can lead healthy and full lives once they've learned coping skills, which is good to know also.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot, wobblyheadedjane [Smile] I think that's the most encouraging response I've had anywhere (and I've posted on some fibromyalgia-specific boards elsewhere too, but it seems they really don't take kindly to visitors who aren't formally diagnosed with it... kinda un-neighborly eh??)

That was great advice to listen to my body- I have so many friends who are really athletic and work out, who keep telling me I should begin an exercise regimen to build muscle. They have trouble understanding when I say that the pain is too much to bear a full workout at a gym :S

As a bit of a side note, would aquasize be a good idea for getting some low-impact exercise? At my workplace it's all the rage for seniors and people with arthritis, and seeing as I (at the very least) have arthritis-like symptoms, I wonder if it could be useful for me too.

Thanks again everyone! [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh heck yes. Aquasize is something I do, and I love it. Anything categorized as low-impact would be good for you, I think, but aquafit stuff is particularly good because it's low impact, the routine changes pretty frequently depending on the instructor, and it's great exercise for you that I find doesn't exhaust me quite as quickly as cardio on land.

I haven't done much of either but I'm betting Yoga and Tai Chi are good for staying fit without straining yourself too much.

I'm sorry to hear about the other communities not being welcoming, especially since fibro is so hard to formally diagnose. It's gotten a lot more recognition as a syndrome lately, but there are still lots of doctors reluctant to diagnose - my mom went without a diagnosis for 20 years.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Yeah, apparently there's quite the struggle to get Canada Pension Plan to recognize fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue as a disability and give sufferers disability benefits if their particular case is severe.

I remember when I was about 12, we went on a family trip to Florida and I got up early every morning we were there and joined about 8 old ladies in our resort's pool for aquasize... it was a lot of fun, even if I was a bit of a misfit [Razz] I'd love to try it again!

--------------------
Lea

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.