Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » lil sis is further along?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lil sis is further along?
Leslie1014
Neophyte
Member # 28009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leslie1014     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my little sister is further along in puberty than i am. She is 12 and had her first period yesterday. I have not had mine yet and I am 15! [Confused] She is also taller than i am and wearing a C cup already. i am only an A cup. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? i am afraid something might be wrong.
Posts: 17 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Women mature at various ages and speeds, even within families. If you're concerned about your pace of development, please ask a doctor. They'll know you better than us, and can tell you if puberty has started for you. If not, they can discuss your options with you, and tell you if you even need to worry at all. [Smile]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squirrel
Neophyte
Member # 31435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squirrel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, DarkChild is right, you probably have nothing to worry about. She'll stop growing soon and you might even get taller than her [Big Grin] My little bro got taller than me and he hasn't had his growth spurt yet either and he's 13 while I'm 17.

...Besides, periods are just annoying anyway. [Razz]

--------------------
If I get eaten by a squirrel, does that make me a nut?

Posts: 5 | From: United States ... that's all you're gunna get | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mellygirl
Activist
Member # 28588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mellygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sister is 5 years younger than me, I'm 20. My boobs are barely a B cup, and hers are a very full C (to be honest, she should prolly be wearing a D but just doesn't have the cash to buy all new bras again). She's absolutely gorgeous. I'm in college, and when she came up for sibbling weekend, people thought she was a friend from another school, and that she was at least 23. Seriously. And, she started her period not quite a year after me (so, age-wise, four years before I did).

Try not to get jealous. It really is okay. Getting your period when you're on your way to prom can be a drag. Buying more bras because yours got too small is expensive. Buying tampons and midol is expensive. Bask in this while you still can. Really.

And one more thing? You're YOU, not your sister. Don't compare yourself to others. What matters is that your body is doing what is best for YOU. Just keep that in mind. It knows what it's doing, so trust it some, k? You'll get there when it's your time.

--------------------
*Melanny*

Posts: 175 | From: Midwest US | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leslie1014
Neophyte
Member # 28009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leslie1014     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I try to stay positive most of the time, but when strangers mistake my lil sis as the oldest it does not exactly do wonders for my self esteem you know? Not having to deal with my period IS nice, though. So maybe she is jealous of ME, who knows? [Wink] I would like to talk to my mom about seeing a doctor or whatever but i don't even know how i would even begin bringing up the subject. So embarassing!!! [Eek!]
Posts: 17 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Start by asking your mom if there were any late bloomers in your family.

You really don't need to ask your doctor "where's my period?" until you've turned 17 and haven't had one, but there's no harm in asking about it now.

As for little sisters outpacing their big sisters, I'm one of those. She's 14 months older than me, but I'm 5 inches taller, 20lbs heavier and 3 cup sizes bigger than her. She happened to take after my dad's side more (petite women, smaller busts), and I expressed more of my mom's genes (the top heavy genes). while I do look at least 22, my sister looks like she's 15.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coconutgonecrazy
Neophyte
Member # 31331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coconutgonecrazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a doctor tell me that the later you start your period then the taller you would be. So if you start at 12 then you will be shorter. Is this true?
Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is a little bit of truth to that.

estrogen drives the changes in your body. of course menstruation is one change. the other is that estrogen makes your bones stop elongating.

so if the estrogen in your body surges early triggering menstruation, it'll also stop your bones from lengthening sooner, too.

thus, you get your period earlier, and you stop growing taller sooner.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwk23
Activist
Member # 29212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pwk23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hit puberty just shy of my 12th birthday, and promptly stopped all of 4 months later--I grew 6 inches (to 5'4") and developed A-cup breasts and remained exactly the same after that tiny time period. Lo and behold, I'm now 21 and in the last five months or so I've gone up to a B-cup and I think I've even grown a tad, so don't despair...hormones are weird things!

Also, my brother is 8 years younger than me--he's just turned 13 and he shot to almost 5'7", which is far taller than anyone else in my immediate or extended family, and people look at us and think he's in college and I'm in high school! When they find out I'm the older one, they assume (because my parents look fairly young) that he's the "real" child and that I'm some "leftover" child from either a nonexistent first marriage of my dad, or my mom and I are actually sisters, or I'm some visiting cousin or something. It can get annoying, especially when people refuse to believe I'm actually my parent's first, totally legitimate child, but we just joke around about it. So I'd say not to fret about it.

Posts: 47 | From: WA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.