Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Invisible braces.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Invisible braces.
borat
Neophyte
Member # 30811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for borat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody have any expericece with these? I heard they don't work that good but I'd rather ask people who've used them than a dentist (of course he'll say they work, he's making the money off of them). My teeth just suck. Kind of crowded and/or crooked. They work fine and don't bother me but their fugly. I'm not really crazy about wearing a mouth full of metal and rubber bands for 4 years, so I wanna see if this is an option.
And is it kind of stupid to get them this late (midd le of high school), because it seems like most people get them sooner, when they're little kids and they don't really care about their appearance.
Thanks.

Posts: 18 | From: kazakhstan....ok not really. | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nklauste
Neophyte
Member # 26262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nklauste     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if you mean the invisalign things or the clear brackets and white wire "invisible" braces. I have seen people who have the clear bracket type and they are really not invisible but rather almost as noticeable as the regular braces. As for the invisalign, I had these as a retainer and I would not recommend them to anybody. My experience has shown that if your gums are even slightly swollen, these can cause your gums to bleed and it pools in the tray thing. Also, these can break and cause your teeth to move even more out of whack then they were to begin with. Just my 2 cents on the issue.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
borat
Neophyte
Member # 30811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for borat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was referring to the invisalign stuff. That sucks about the bleeding thing. Anybody else use them?
Posts: 18 | From: kazakhstan....ok not really. | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you end up having complicated issues with your teeth, you wouldn't have to wear braces for 4 years just to straighten crooked teeth. I've had major issues, and only have had to wear braces for 4 years (and I'm 21 now, still have a year to go!!) because my first orthodontist made a mess of things.

Regarding Invisalign- I've never used them but I have asked my orthodontist about them. He told me that they're generally used for minor corrections or as retainers as they can't put enough force on your teeth to move them much.

There's also the option of braces being put on the BACKS of your teeth. I just picked up a brochure from my orthodontist about those too. Apparently they require you to have sufficient space for them behind your teeth- ie, if you bite down and most of the backs of your upper teeth are covered by your bottom teeth, they probably aren't a good plan as you'd constantly be biting on your brackets.

There's no shame in plain ol' braces though, I've had mine for 3 years now and still have a year left, and I find that people don't treat you any differently even if you're older. There are plenty of grown men and women at my ortho office at least!

(and apparently many orthodontists don't recommend using the clear brackets that go on the front, because if you eat a lot of red or tomatoey food or don't practise proper dental hygiene, they can discolor very quickly and turn yellow or orange [Eek!] )

Hope this helps a little!

-Leanne

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RainWhispers
Neophyte
Member # 30726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RainWhispers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have invisalign right now. I think they work fine! I'm happy with the way my teeth are turning out (I'm on my last set). There used to be a huge gap between my two front teeth, and it's not there anymore. It's a lot more work than regular braces, though. You have to take them out everytime you eat and make sure you don't lose them. You have to keep every set (for records or something). You can't have food in your teeth when you put them back in, either, and you have to avoid drinking sugary drinks and stuff with them in. If you want to drink that stuff, then you have to take them out. But other than that stuff, I think they work great!
Posts: 16 | From: NJ | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
borat
Neophyte
Member # 30811

It seems like some of my bottom teeth need to get moved forward. Don't see how that could be corrected with braces but that's a question for the dentist. I used to have a friend who had a thing on his upper mouth behind his front teeth and it made him drool and talk with a lisp. I definitely don't want that!!! lol
FadingStar
Neophyte
Member # 28427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FadingStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got 'speed' braces last year when I was in Gr.10. There weren't any real problems with my teeth, just that they didnt look nice. I needed them for a short time, only a 2 yrs, so I got them almost exactly a year ago (Worst time to get prepared for braces, I got teeth pulled right on halloween!) and I found out last time I went to my Ortho that I will be getting them off before spring break of 2007! So I finished 6 months earlier than what was expected.

The difference with speed braces to regular braces is their size. They're 1/2 the size of normal ones, and it seems to me that you're not particularily fond of the metal mouth part (if you're worried about people at school, they didnt bother me about it) so I would suggest those. They smaller than regular ones, and move the teeth faster or something, so you don't need to spend so much time with them on.
I had a small lisp when I first got them, but that may have been caused by this metal thing they put behind my teeth (which blocked my tounge from sounding some words correctly) that caused that.

I would suggest talking to your Orthodontist about what he believes will be best for you. Either way, braces are quit expensive, but they're defintly worh it, even if you need teeth pulled!

--------------------
And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didnít need because you knew you were finally free.

Posts: 28 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And remember that if you don't need them for medical reasons, there is always the option of leaving your teeth as they are-- lots of people with crooked teeth love them, and I personally think it can look kind of cool (not better or worse than straight teeth, just different and cool).
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention, for the record, that I had normal braces my first 2 years but now have switched to the speed braces with my new orthodontist and thus far am 6 months ahead of schedule, just like FadingStar was- and they're much smaller than normal ones, easier to clean too [Smile]

(And well said Beppie- I miss the gap in my front teeth, they were part of my smile's character!!)

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.