Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Acne

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Acne
Bunni13
Activist
Member # 16296

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Bunni13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, well for about 4 or 5 years now, I've been dealing with acne. This isn't a big deal because I know everyone gets it. However, there are all those commercials that have products like cleansers, lotions, toners, and acne fighting creams that say they work. We of course believe them because they have our favorite actress on them trying to sell them out and their faces are perfect because of computer technology. Anyways, you see I have a little over mild acne on my face and neck and I have body acne on my chest, shoulders and back. On my back it goes almost all the way down. It's so gross. It isn't THAT bad on my back until it gets to the top and then sometimes it can be very painful. On my chest, sometimes I dont even wear certain types of shirts because I am so embarassed... and that's painful... emotionally.

So my question is- anyone who has ANY ideas or product recommendations, please feel free to tell me. Also, I have been on Alesse birth control for about a week... and I was wondering with more time if that would help me out in this department. Thank you soooo much!!

--------------------
Fact: Many teens in the US have pregnancy as their main worry- which is only one risk to worry about when you're sexually active. If you are sexually active, it's healthy to have STI tests. Please, get tested.

Posts: 65 | From: Missouri, US | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you been to see a dermatologist yet? If not, then it's probably time to make an appointment and get it checked out. If you've tried the over the counter products and haven't had significant improvement, then it could be that you have an infection or something else going on that isn't being treated well enough by just the washes, etc. You may need something stronger. The OTC stuff is fine for mild problems, but the fact that you have it on your body as well AND that it's painful indicates that you probably need to consult with a doctor to find out what's going on. You may find that the birth control will lessen your acne, but that's not a guarantee (in fact, there are women for whom being on BC increases their breakouts), especially if what you are experiencing is due to some type of systemic infection you're carrying around.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stila
Neophyte
Member # 30611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I was definitely in the same situation as you. I was trying every over the counter product that I could find because I always felt that the info commercils were a scam and that the only reason celebrities endorsed products were because of a huge contract. Howevever, I can definitely say that I have faithfully become a PROACTIVE customer.

What I have tried: Biore, Clearsil, Oxy.. Dermatologist antibiotics.

Review: Proactive has allowed me to consistently keep a clear skin. Not even a bump...even around that time of the month again.

However, I did have a friend who said it completely did not work for her. And I have had other close friends who swear by it.

My conclusion is that for proactive.. it either works for you or it doesn't. But it doesn't help to try it. I'm sure you've been going through product trials with other lines, so why not give it a shot?

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Posts: 39 | From: Montreal | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thathollygirl
Activist
Member # 29912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thathollygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember if it was on this board or another (I think it was st, though), but a girl said Proactiv completely messed her up. Going to the dermatologist is your best bet--as Sarah said, it may be an infection-based thing. And he/she can recommend something over-the-counter, if that's what you need.
Posts: 70 | From: place | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaigeyWaigey
Neophyte
Member # 30858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaigeyWaigey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using Arbonne Intellegience Acne cleanser for about 2 months and i love it! It's amazing how much it actually worked.
I've tried lots of typical face cleansers like clean and clear, biorre, and such and they all made my face dry out and peel. nothing seemed to work i suggest you have a looked at this site in products under acne.. try out intellegiance acne cleaning system. i know you will love it. http://arbonne.com/

--------------------
.::Spare me just three last words
"I love you" is all she heard::
"I'll wait for you, but I can't wait forever"::.

Posts: 7 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearsil hasn't worked for me. I am now using a chemical - Topical Acne Therapy Rx: ZCT-1044597. The results are decent, my facial acne is almost cleaned up (probably 75% sucessful, just 2 small patches of acne beside my mouth on either edge).

That being said, my back, neck and chest are still quite the mess. I'll probably need to go see a doctor again...

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumored
Neophyte
Member # 27901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumored     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to add a quick note regarding hormones: they don't always even out skin tone. What makes one person's acne clear up will make another person's flare up, and for someone else it won't do anything at all. If skin improvement through birth control pills is something you really want to try, I'd suggest asking your dr. which pills tend to have better results for acne. They generally have an ok idea, but it may mean shuffling your biochemicals some.
Posts: 33 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.