Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » I don't need to lose weight!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't need to lose weight!
thathollygirl
Activist
Member # 29912

Icon 8 posted      Profile for thathollygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So today I go down to our student center to eat some lunch and stuff, and I as I am on my way out, I look to see what people are trying to sell me. There's this lady selling jewelry. Mmkay, that's nice. I walk over to this lady with what appears to be an Avon-style setup. I don't recall the company name, and I guess it's not important, but they were all about natural makeup (Aveda-esque, but not).

She pounces on me because I was kind of looking, and goes on her spiel. Makeup, lotion, foot-scrub (which she shoved in my face with a "you wanna smell it?"), etc.

But then she's like, "We also have weight-loss products!" and gives me this look like "I think you could use them". What? I am 5'3" and 115 pounds, nearly UNDERWEIGHT, and she wants to sell me weight-loss stuff? Way to go, lady. Prey on the screwed-up body image of a lot of college students.

If I hadn't been so dumbstruck, I would have told her that, but I just had to hurry off, slightly sickened.

Posts: 70 | From: place | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, for a minute there, I thought she had actually said "I think you could use them." and sat here in horror. The implication is just as bad though. I don't get why the implication that women (or anyone, really) who looks at fancy bath products, or makeup is immediately interested in 'improving' or changing themselves. I personally buy fancy soaps because they're a nice little way to treat myself, and I wear makeup because I enjoy playing with colours and using my face as a palette.

Do you mind if we make this a topic of how people have experience social pressure to change something about themselves, and how they've reacted to it? I think it could be a really valuable discussion.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try to bear in mind that these people work in very high-pressure sales -- that is, if you don't look like you'll punch them in the face if they say hi, they'll swoop on you like vultures.

Still, I'd dearly like to see a man looking at their products and get the same effects. All women are assumed to want to change themselves in some way, and it's pretty darn sad and annoying.

My biggest petpeeve are the ProActiv carts at malls. I've always had acne, I tried their crappy product, and it chemically burned my entire face. And yet if I so much as glance and sneer at the cart, a sweet preppy lady will come up:

"Hi! You look interested in trying ProActiv!"

What the hell does THAT mean? I usually just double my sneer and double the pace away.

I'm perfectly happy with the way I look, and the occassional cheap beauty treats I buy at the drugstore, thank you very much. Moreover, I'm broke, so go away.

Grr.

[ 09-09-2006, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thathollygirl
Activist
Member # 29912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thathollygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am perfectly cool with topic derailment.

Agreed with the makeup thing--the colors are what's fun for me. For a while, I felt like every time I went out, I had to be wearing makeup, which was absolutely ridiculous. Now I put on some makeup if I want to amuse myself.

The implication in sales that there's something wrong that needs to be fixed really bothers me. "Hey, Pizza Face! You might want to do something about that if you ever wanna get laid!"

Y'know, they put ProActiv spam in our bags at the supply store here. It's absurd. I used to have very bad acne, and it's amazing how much it's improved just through drinking plenty of water.

I, too cannot afford any of this expensive snake-oil. Even if I could, I hope I wouldn't feel like I needed it.

Posts: 70 | From: place | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post 
What I translate from when they offer the weight
loss (Weight BS) is that they think we should lose weight/buy make-up to get all pretty for they men *string of bad language*.

Which pisses me off,because if I'm going to lose weight I'm going to do it for MYSELF.

LOL,I'm broke to.(Snake oil?)

[ 09-10-2006, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Tuxy ]

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, "they" think so because it is a HUGE for-profit enterprise.

In other words, it makes LOADS of money for those companies, and it pays their employees, whatever their personal opinions may be.

So, maybe get in a habit of having a kind but firm statement for the weight-loss.beauty pushers where you see them which is something to this effect?

"I respect that like anyone else, you need an income, but I patently disagree with how the way you are choosing to get yours effects me and women as a whole, and am informed as to the big picture of this, to please don't try and sell to me."

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thathollygirl
Activist
Member # 29912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thathollygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tuxy: "Snake oil"/"patent medicine" is a medicine or product that claims to do things that are so ridiculous that it can't possibly work.

Yeah, I'm really glad that I didn't say anything, because it would have been much less polite and respectful than that statement.

Now, I am perfectly cool with profit-making. I am a dyed-in-the-wool capitalist. But it really, really pisses me off when people prey on others' stupidity/insecurities to make money. Have a heart, for god's sake.

Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Sorry,I didn't mean to be rude.

So profit makings okay,even though it is kind of annoying.

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other day when I was having my braces removed (wahoo) my orthodontist remarked 'You could do with seeing a dermatologist about your skin.' I had the impressions goo in my mouth and was choking already, so I just about said 'I am' when what I wanted to say is 'f!@? off! I'm insecure enough as it is about my skin without @!?*#$} like you reminding me of it! It's not even your f!@?ing place to mention it anyway!'
The guy went on, after whistling along to Don't Look Back in Anger on the radio while tapping the rhythm on the impressions mould that was still in my mouth, to tell me that I 'swallow like a baby'. What a jerk.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

I know.

What gives the right to make personal comments about my/your (people in general) looks?

ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or indeed, their lives in general, if I may derail the topic further for a moment?

In my previous job, it was known that I suffered from bipolar disorder, and that the job was high-stress (obtaining compensation for child abuse victims), so every so often I did have "arrrrgh can't cope!" fits. I was also having a hard time at home with my parents. One day, my manager dared to inform me "This [one of my fits pitched on a particularly bad downswing] is probably why you argue so much with your parents."

I resisted the urge to tell her where to shove her remarks but did inform her in an extremely irate tone "That is none of your business" and marched out of the office she'd pulled me into to give me the lecture in the first place. I told a couple of the solicitors who I worked for what she'd said and they were absolutely gobsmacked that she could say something like that.

So hey, it's not just your looks that people pick at, but your mental health as well!

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump-worthy!
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.