Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » whats that smell?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: whats that smell?
princessArae
Neophyte
Member # 29820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for princessArae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so yeah, ill admit it. my farts stink. but only when im close to or on my period. right now my period should be starting any day and i cant stop passing gas. and the smell is enough to gag. it started becoming frequent a couple months ago and it was never a problem cuz it was over the summer months and i could be alone easily when i needed to relieve myself. but i just started college, and i cant really get away from anyone else. and i dont want to be suffocating my roommate with the stench. is there some otc stuff i can take to help stop the gas. its not like i feel bloated or anything, just farty. or at least something to make it smell less rancid? haha im starting to feel like a guy farting so much. i definetly take after my dad, he has the smelliest farts ive ever been around!

(sorry about the gross factor ladies! lol)

--------------------
~autumn~

Posts: 33 | From: pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Matthew
Activist
Member # 29890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Matthew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a Google search and there have been several studies that show a link between menses and bowel symtoms such as flatulence. So you are not alone. Below is an abstract for one such study that looked at women to see if menses makes irritable bowel syndrome (which is more serious condition than just gas) worse. The study found that even women not having irritable bowel symptom had an increase of bowel symptoms, such as gas, during menses. I hilighted that result below.

There are also suggestions you can find on the web (search on flatulence) as to what the causes of the smell are: eating to many carbs, eating indigestible foods, defficiency of enzymes... and what to do: over the counter pills (e.g. Bean-O) which are digestive enzyme supplements, avoiding certain foods, more frequent bowel movements, herbs like chamomile tea. Do the Google thing and you'll see.

1: Gastroenterology. 1990 Jun;98(6):1485-9. Related Articles, Links

Evidence for exacerbation of irritable bowel syndrome during menses.

Whitehead WE, Cheskin LJ, Heller BR, Robinson JC, Crowell MD, Benjamin C, Schuster MM.

Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland.

Many women report that bowel symptoms are associated with menstruation, but neither the prevalence of these complaints nor their physiological basis is known. This study aimed to estimate prevalence, to determine whether patients with irritable bowel syndrome are more likely to make such complaints, and to determine whether bowel complaints during menstruation are attributable to psychological traits such as increased somatization. To estimate prevalence, 369 clients of Planned Parenthood of Maryland were asked whether gas, diarrhea, or constipation occurred during menstruation. These subjects were compared with women referred to a gastroenterology clinic and found to have irritable bowel syndrome or functional bowel disorder (abdominal pain plus altered bowel habits but not satisfying restrictive criteria for irritable bowel syndrome). Thirty-four percent of 233 Planned Parenthood clients who denied symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome or functional bowel disorder reported that menstruation was associated with one or more bowel symptoms. Gastroenterology clinic patients with irritable bowel syndrome were significantly more likely to experience exacerbations of each of these bowel symptoms, but especially increased bowel gas. Self-reports of bowel symptoms during menstruation were not associated with psychological traits or with menses-related changes in affect.

PMID: 2338190 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 220 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thathollygirl
Activist
Member # 29912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thathollygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, have diarrhea just before my period. TMI, I suppose? But nonetheless, it is I suppose of a cause similar to yours. I haven't noticed a difference in my symptoms with changes in diet.
Posts: 70 | From: place | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.