Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Sex plus religion and spirituality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex plus religion and spirituality
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a religious or spiritual tradition myself, but I'm always interested in hearing about how other people's religions and sense of spirituality tie into aspects of their life.

In this thread, I want to ask-- what is the significance of sex (all sex, not just intercourse) in your religious/spiritual tradition. I don't mean discussing the "rules" about when you should and should not have sex.

What I do mean is: what does your tradition say about what happens between two people when they do have sex? Is the effect spiritual, or only bodily? Do you believe it always creates a lasting spiritual bond between two people, or is there more to lasting bonds than just sex?

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i_ kno _u
Neophyte
Member # 30370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i_ kno _u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HELLO BEPPIE, THIS IS A VERY INTERESTING TOPIC. FIRST OF ALL, WAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF SEX? WELL IN MY RELIGION, WAT HAPPENS AT SEXUAL INTERCOURSE IS THE BODILY JOINING OF TWO PERSONS. WE DO BELIEVE THAT THE EFFECT IS SPIRITUAL ALSO. WELL, BASED ON MY PERSONAL BELIEFS, LASTING BONDS CONSISTS OF MORE THAN SEX AND YES I BELIEVE THAT INTERCOURSE CREATES A LASTING SPIRITUAL BOND BETWEEN TWO PERSONS. I HOPE I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTIONS [Smile] (WAT R YOUR BELIEFS REGARDING YOUR ?s)

--------------------
smile

Posts: 11 | From: Jamaica | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
biblacknproud87
Neophyte
Member # 30415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for biblacknproud87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting topic. In my particular sect of the Christian faith (nondenominational Protestant). It is both a spiritual bonding as well as physical. Also, in the particular church I attend (regularly, unless I'm away in school) sex is not particularly viewed as "dirty", like most people view the church's view on sex. It is something to be enjoyed, but of course, like most churchs, it is only to be enjoyed in a heterosexual marriage. Still love my church though! :-D I like that word "particular", don't I? lol

--------------------
I'm lovely
I'm beautiful
I love myself
I need me
Before I need anyone else

Posts: 35 | From: New York...New Brunswick, New Jersey when I'm in school | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey, i_kno_u? Could you type normally, please? All caps hurt eyes and are the net equivelant of shouting. Thanks!)

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i_ kno _u
Neophyte
Member # 30370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i_ kno _u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for that piece of information DarkChild717 [Smile] , I wasn't aware of that sorry. By the way can anyone tell me what is the meaning of 'lol'?

--------------------
smile

Posts: 11 | From: Jamaica | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post 
It means laugh out loud.
Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i_ kno _u
Neophyte
Member # 30370

Thanx Tuxy [Smile]

--------------------
smile

Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome.
Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith54
Activist
Member # 27855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I grew up Catholic, so I learned that all sex was dirty and only should be used to create life. When I started getting serious with my boyfriend, it was hard to shed this feeling. I was also molested as a child, so the belief that sexual acts were dirty was set even more in my mind. But we took it pretty slow, and we are very in love, so little by little I got used to it. I now see sex as (atleast between my boyfriend and I), a deep, passionate connection to display how comfortable and trusting we are with eachother. I no longer believe in the Catholic faith, but I am spiritual and believe there is something else out there. I guess leaving my religion also changed my view on sex. (Note- No offense if anyone is Catholic. This is just my personal experience.)

[ 08-22-2006, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Faith54 ]

--------------------
"My grandmother never gave gifts- she was too busy being raped by cossacks." ~ Woody Allen

Posts: 107 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Catholic boyfriend says he is not offended. [Wink]

I'm a Buddhist & also Jewish - there's not much prohibition against sex where my Buddhist half comes from. The key to sex in Buddhism is like the rest of that way of thinking - be good to other people, value them and your experiences with them, realize that what you're going through emotionally/physically is pretty temporary, in the larger scope of things.

For me, that knowledge makes me proud of my sexuality, and I approach sex with a bit of reverence when I'm doing it with someone new. I've got to trust the whole person before we hop in the sack... then the spiritual and emotional connections can be so much deeper!

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.