Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » "reward" for eating right

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "reward" for eating right
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...I'm at the most weight I've ever been in my life; 67kilos. According to the nutritionist, I should be weighing 57. So...I got pretty sad, because I've been trying to lose weight for over a year, and for a while I was right on track, but then last December I got, well, depressed you could say, and I lost it. (Speaking of which, does anyone have a depression checklist type thing?). I gained 4 kilos in a month this time; partially because I had a gum operation and after that I felt bad if I ate (because it hurt), and I kinda got used to it; and part because maybe I wasn't "eating", but I had my share of sweets. Plus, I have an exceptionally slow metabolism, always have. I got so sick of "dieting" that the nutritionist told me to take a couple months off, and just eat healthy and eliminate sweets. I was really getting sad because nothing advanced, just like lots of things in my life... Sometimes I feel aweful, and I don't even know clearly why I freak out at that given moment.

But now that I don't have a diet to follow, I feel a lot more freedom. However, to sum up, I was thinking that maybe I could keep a journal of some sort to try and "Monitor" myself, and that if at the end of the week I had done everything perfectly, I could give myself a reward. That could motivate me to eat right. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do?

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are aware that diet alone is usually only half the issue, yes?

Really, getting more active first is often the better plan. Not only is that the other half of the equation, increasing activity tends to change what we want to eat towards healthier choices, pretty organically. Much of the time, a body at rest and one in motion want very different things.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68104 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your metabolism will run at a higher rate once you start hard exercise frequently.

Aim for 30 minutes a day of brisk walking and throw some strength training in too - if you don't have weights, do pushups on your knees, squats and whatnot. You'll gain strength and energy, and lose weight incrementally.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree about exercise. Not only will that make eating healthier a lot easier, the rush of endorphins you get after a brisk workout is a reward in of itself!

It took me awhile to get motivated to exercise, especially considering the polluted enviornment. If there are any low-cost gyms in your area, that could be a good step to take. I know for me, at least, that once I take the trouble to travel to the gym, I have no choice but to work out.

I realize, though, that isn't an option for everybody. Kitka had some excellent advice for at-home activities. Maybe take a look at some aerobic workout videos/DVD's that interest you?

There's something just hysterical enough about doing "Born to Be Wild- Step Aerobics with Cher" in front of the TV that motivates me on days I can't venture out. [Big Grin]

[ 08-10-2006, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are looking for a bit of motivation to get out and excercise on a regular basis, try to find a friend who is really into that sort of thing and does it regularly (whether that is running or swimming or whatever you are into, I like to surf most days so just whatever is fun for you) And then with a friend to encourage you, and to hang out with, Its much more fun that way.

I found that for me getting out and excercising helped me feel better about myself and then Diet comes with that as Miz Scarlet said.

Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. "Diets" tend to seriously wreck your metabolism.

And here's a good checklist for you per what you asked for: http://www.firelily.com/support/depression/depression.selfcheck.html

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68104 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the imput [Smile]

I have been trying to do 30 minutes a day of aerobic type exercise for a while now. I'm also trying to get into either swimming or tennis lessons.

Mz. S, I understand your concern, but I'm not going on "starvation diets" or "skipping meals" diets or anything of the sort. I've been going to a professional for over a year, and basically just trying to eat healthier instead of eating less (or, for example, before I used to just have lunch, a small breakfast, no/very small dinner. Very bad. Now I eat 4 or 5 smaller meals a day). Oh, and I love water. I've always drank at least 8 glasses a day. So that's not a problem [Smile]

I know I should be doing exercise, but I'll be having to do that regularly. What I meant was something extra to motivate me to eat right and do exercise every day. Not exactly ways to be healthier, but ways to motivate me to be healthy, if you get the point. Of course, having a chocolate or being lazy is not an option. Any ideas for that?

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you should just set you a goal. Remind yourself of that goal each day and this should motivate you. Do you have a picture of you at the weight you want to achieve ? (realistic weight of course).That could be a great idea to put one up on your walls to remind you of your goal.

You know you can allow yourself a treat once a week, it is not prohibited. There's no problem with that. If this motivates you, go for it. Also, when you do everything right all week long, then you can allow you a break day.

Also, why not doing something you like after let's say each work-outs ? That's something to look forward to when doing your work-outs.

The thing is in the beginning I admit it's hard to motivate you but you'll get there. And maybe you'll get addicted to it just like me. When I started working out, after a few times, I couldn't stop going. If I didn't go, then I wouldn't feel as good as if I had gone. It just takes a little bit of time to get into the routine.

Of course, it takes a little time before you'll see results but once you start seeing them, it will stay you motivated.

Also, find something you like. It's great to burn a lot of calories while doing a certain activity but if you don't like it you'll get tired soon. It might be a better idea to do an activity which burns less calories you like longer than another one more efficient but that you don't like. Understand ? Try different activities and you'll eventually find one that fits you best.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh.I know exactly what your going through.

All I do to try to lose weight is to swim and cut back on snacks and desserts.And i try to run evry once in a while.

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thathollygirl
Activist
Member # 29912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thathollygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this is an option for you--in my hometown it absolutely wouldn't have been--but have you considered biking?

Since coming down to college, I've had only my bike, and I've ridden the hell out of it. Mind you, I'm not overweight, but I am sedentary, and it's so much easier to get exercise if you have to do it to get anywhere.

And once you get over the initial "omg, I'm so out of shape!", it's a lot of fun. Much more interesting than stationary bicycle.

Posts: 70 | From: place | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.