Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » BrainWashed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BrainWashed
Member # 26749

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lil_kiwi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O.K. I know this sounds dumb. But I never realized until lately how brainwashed I am from all the advertisements out there. I hate it. For example I know this could just be laziness. But I will watch t.v. even if I hate the television show because I feel I should be watching this since I am a teen and finishing the book I am so into right now. And I know this is funny. But I really like my breast the size they are at right now which is a A cup. I love how they look when I am naked. But I would almost die to have C cups even though I know thats what others want not me. I have only tapped onto the basics. But I think you know what I am getting at. For some odd reason I am not listening to myself and what I like, but I am listening to others around me and almost making a copy of them inside me. I want to know, has anyone else ever felt this way. Am I just a slob who is blaming others for her problems? Are there others out there like me? And how can I listen to what I like, and not copy others? I seriously need help. So please post. Thanks
Posts: 198 | From: Ca, USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good start would be turning off the TV, I think. You said you were just trying to finish a book, so you're a reader, it sounds like. Focus on reading books you like instead of watching television. Trust me when I say this, I grew up as a teen who read more books than watch TV, and my limited TV viewing was usually cartoon fare like the Simpsons. There's absolutely no rule that says you have to watch TV like it's going out of style as a teen! [Smile] if it makes you feel bad to watch it, just hit the shiny 'off' button.

We do have a lot of body image and self-esteem help threads on this board - if you click the Body and Soul FAQ link stickied above, you can find lots of discussions about how to feel better about your body and yourself just as you are.

Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 27276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gwaihir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Jane's comment. I grew up with no tv, but then I went to college where tv was available in the common rooms of my dorms and I did enjoy watching it sometimes, but one thing I realized is that the more I watched it, (I already knew tv was full of crap with a very few good shows in between) I realized that I started to feel very. . well, depressed is too strong a word. . just bitter, I guess. Faithless and angry at people. I'd look at the stupid shows on Mtv, (not to mention all the horrible commercials) shake my head and think: "THIS is what people value??"
But really, like Jane said, all you need to do is click the "off" button and get back to that book! [Smile]
As for the shows on tv that are really good? They end up being put out on dvd anyway, so you can just rent or buy them without the hassle of commercials or having to wait till next week for the next episode.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 29931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for isabelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have DVR and the only shows on tv I watch are twilight zone and family guy, good thing I can fast forward thru commercials, but tv really never enraptured me too much it always made me laugh or else get extremely disgusted or bored so I just dont keep up with all those shows people drool over

but it sounds like youre smart enough to figure out whats best for you and not let it slowly turn you into a zombie like most girls so I trust you wont start letting those ideals of having big boobs etc overtake you

Posts: 29 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uninformed and confused
Member # 27603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uninformed and confused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not lazy, I feel the same way. Like life is about trying to be what you're not. That's what we're taught to think - isn't that stupid? The media sucks. But what can you do? Deprive yourself of entertainment? I am in the same situation as you are (I think anyway!). Not sure what to do to help, except turn the TV off a bit. I never used to watch much TV, but now that we HAVE tv, I can relate to the bitterness you feel. You're not alone, although it is a sad fact that something so entertaining causes such....emotional discomfort.

Practice random acts of intelligence, and senseless acts of self control.

Posts: 37 | From: Ellensburg, Washington | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.