Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Ovarian Cysts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ovarian Cysts
Bunni13
Activist
Member # 16296

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Bunni13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering, could anyone please explain to me what an ovarian cyst is, how you get them, what they feel like... anything. My mom thinks I might have them.

--------------------
Fact: Many teens in the US have pregnancy as their main worry- which is only one risk to worry about when you're sexually active. If you are sexually active, it's healthy to have STI tests. Please, get tested.

Posts: 65 | From: Missouri, US | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, any ovarian follicle (pore) that is over 2mm is counted as a cyst. There are several different types of cysts, most of which are benign, though they can cause pain. I suspect that your mother might be worried that you have Polycystic Overy Syndrome (PCOS), which is when you have multiple cysts on your overaies have multiple cysts on them, and can cause a variety of problems, which I won't list here, but include prolonged PMS-like symptoms, and also fewer periods than usual, or none at all (amenorrhea).

HOWEVER, these symptoms can indicate at a lot of things, and you need to see a doctor for a diagnosis. Don't start freaking out that you might have any particular condition, because as with many conditions, the symptoms you might be having could very well indicate a number of things. So, ask your mum to make you an appointment, preferably with a GYN, and only rely on them for your diagnosis.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
isabelle
Neophyte
Member # 29931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for isabelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one of those thar ruptured IT HURT LIKE HOLY HELL. dont get them, it hurts. bad
Posts: 29 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
isabelle, unfortunately, whether or not someone gets ovarian cysts is beyond their control. So while it's good to get a point of view from someone who's had one, telling women to just not get an ovarian cyst isn't terribly helpful.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
isabelle
Neophyte
Member # 29931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for isabelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol yeah...I forgot, birth conrtol prevents them sorry
Posts: 29 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.