Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Bathing in a swimsuit?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bathing in a swimsuit?
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 4 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came back from a 9-day trip with my chorus during which we stayed at college dorms. In the dorms we stayed in for most of the trip, the only showers they had were communal (they had curtains, actually, but they would frequently blow open and few of them closed all the way). Because of this, most of us showered in our swim suits. When I mentioned this to my mother, however, she expressed concern, saying that I could get a yeast infection from this. I can see how that would make sense, but most of us would wash our hair and bodies while wearing our suits, then pull down (or aside) the bottoms to wash our genitals. Would there still be risk of yeast infection doing this? It doesn't really seem to me that it would be an issue, but I was just curious (seeing as, on chorus trips, we're in that sort of situation frequently).
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally, a warm, moist enviornment lets yeast thrive; a wet bathing suit is the perfect provider.

But I'd say that just as long as you don't stay in the suit for more than, say, an hour, there's not much of a risk.

Of course, if ditching the suit during showers at all is an option, that would be the best way to go, especially if you have had problems with yeast before.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I always try to change out of the suit ASAP (usually about 5-10 minutes after showering). Course, add that on to the 30-45 minutes I spend showering and you've got a fair chunk of time. But still. I've never had an issue with yeast infections in the past, so I don't think I'm particularly prone to them or anything. I try to take good care of my bits down there. : )
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
isabelle
Neophyte
Member # 29931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for isabelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew a girl who only bathed in her swinsuit it was some weirdo family thing...wonder if she got yeast infections
Posts: 29 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffguy
Neophyte
Member # 27444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buffguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
usually college dorm shower areas are not communal. they have dividers in between the stalls. in any case, the only thing you should wear into the shower would be a pair of flip-flops (to protect from the fungus).
Posts: 32 | From: ny | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.