Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » becoming a woman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: becoming a woman
Leslie1014
Neophyte
Member # 28009

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Leslie1014     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a question I have been thinking about a lot lately. At what point should be a girl considered a woman? After a girl gets her first period, it has been said she is officially a woman. There are girls in the 5th grade who have breasts and have started their period, but when all is said and done they are still a 5th grader. On the other hand, i am 14 but do not have breasts and pubic hair and I haven't started my period yet. When I look in the mirror, i see a little girl but on the inside i have the same thoughts as any other "young woman." So what makes a woman? Is it physical, mental, or both?
Posts: 17 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FadingStar
Neophyte
Member # 28427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FadingStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always thought that it was when they started their period, but as you stated, somtimes it is very young.

This got me thinking and I would say it is more mental than physical. People mature at different rates and I would say it is there maturity that determines if they're a woman.

Some women who are 30 have little or no breasts, but that dosent mean that they are not a woman. Just as some 5th graders might have breasts, that dosent mean that they're more of a woman than any 30 year old.

All in all, I say being a woman depends on how mature you are. It sounds like you have matured faster on the inside than on the outside, so just give it some time, it'll catch up soon enough [Smile]

--------------------
And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didnít need because you knew you were finally free.

Posts: 28 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fadingstar had a good point about it being about mental maturity. also, you could say that you're a woman when you turn 18 and become a legal adult. it really depends on personal definition.

--------------------
"they say you can bear anythng if you can tell a story about it."

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
What really makes a woman is from really more of a social perspective than a physical one. It depends on people. Every one can have is or her own opinion about what a woman really is.

Just don't let anyone tell you that you are not a woman, if you think you are then it is true. There is no real definition for that. Everyone can have is own definition.

I can tell you some definition of a woman that people have.

First, becoming a woman can mean that your pubic hair and your breast have started to grow or that you have started having your period. It can also mean that you have had your first intercourse.

It really differs from one person to another. There's no better definition. It's up to you to define the term woman.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leslie1014
Neophyte
Member # 28009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leslie1014     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. About the mental maturity thing, I wish the rest of the world would see it that way. People who meet me for the first time never believe I am 13! [Roll Eyes]

I was just thinking. Perhaps girls obssess about breast size so much because having a flat chest makes them feel like less of a woman? i feel that way sometimes...

Posts: 17 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A woman is a woman whenever she decides to call herself that. Otherwise, she is whatever she personally wants to identify herself as.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People believe that you are becoming a woman or a man when you have your first sign of puberty, whether it's your first period, breast growth, facial/pubic hair, etc. I believed that.

But then, i really considered myself really a true woman when i really changed completely. I felt at 17 when all of my shell was broken about myself, not so much physically but more of on the inside with my personality, and etc. I felt like I really loved myself, and I was able to share that with other people the same way, and really mature about a lot of things.

Of course, learning is a lifelong process and you also continue to blossom as you journey through as a person. It's always evolving.

Thus, people will define when they are a woman or men by their own beliefs. There's no right or wrong.

--------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.