Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Belly Button Piercing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Belly Button Piercing?
Cherry Gurl
Neophyte
Member # 29491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherry Gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a piercing on my belly would look really cute! So i've decided to get one in my birthday and i already have my moms permission.

The thing is...i'm not so sure because i'm afraid it might get infected or something. And some friends told me that when i'm older and get pregnant the hole in my belly will stretch and then it will look horrible!

Are these things true? Should i get it? What if it gets infected? [Confused] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
....:::...*((LaRi))*...:::....

Posts: 12 | From: Venezuela | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to a reputable piercer (that is, one that has an autoclave sterilizing machine, a good reputation, and health certificates clearly visible), they will give you instructions on how to best clean and take care of your piercing. Usually the procedure is to do warm sea salt soaks twice a day; some places will recommend a cleansing spray like Dragon Mist or the like, but sea salt soaks are the norm.

If the piercing gets infected in spite of best attempts to keep it clean, you'll probably have to remove the piercing. There is the possibility of scarring, but that's a risk you'll have to weigh against how much you want the piercing.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wobblyheadedjane had some good suggestions. also, if sea salt soaks are too hard for you to do on your belly button, there are salt water sprays you can buy like h2ocean. you just spray it on the piercing. not as good as a soak, but better than nothing i your in a rush or dont want to sit with your belly in a bowl of water for 5 minutes. it probably will get irritated or swell up the first week or so. don't take it out!! give it a chance to heal. if its really bothering you, go back and see your piercer. ask them before taking it out.for more information check out bmezine.com. good luck!

--------------------
"they say you can bear anythng if you can tell a story about it."

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shimmer
Activist
Member # 29464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shimmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i got mine peirced on New Years Day and it took about 4 months for it to completely heal and stop getting infected (i have a very active job, so it was constantly being irritated by my bending over and all of the dust and grime in the air). i went to a really nice place but that doesn't guarantee a perfect healing process, or even a perfect peircing (the lady accidently put mine in slightly askew, which made it even more susceptible to infection) it got pretty bad actually but i didn't want to remove it and risk the scarring, so i just kept up with cleaning it and soaking it in Tea Tree Oil - the miracle cure - and now it's perfectly fine and looks really cute [Smile] good luck with yours, and i'd highly recommend keeping the piercing in even if it does get infected and just soaking it in that tea tree oil stuff, i was amazed at how well that worked.

[ 06-25-2006, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Shimmer ]

Posts: 68 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warm Sea Salt Soaks are *absolutely necessary*
The warmth brings out any crusting or lymph (both of which are normal unless yellow or green) and also promotes blood flow to the area aiding healing.

Non-iodised sea salt is definately the best to use. Spraying a salt solution on a piercing is okay to use for an antibacterial quick-clean, but a soak is definately whats recommended for all piercings.

Using a shot glass or small cup you can lean into it, then press it against your stomach creating a seal.

The salt solution should be no stronger than your tears or irritation can occur.

Navels take up to nine months to heal fully, or they could heal in four or five months.

If pregnancy occurs, you could remove the barbell, or if you really want to keep it, replace it with a flexible PTFE barbell (nothing like acrylic which can absorb bacteria)
If you do decide to remove the barbell the holes will not stretch and very little scarring will occur, if any.

If you get pieced in a clean professional shop and look after it properly (not using alcohol cleans or ointments - even antibacterial ones -, not changing or playing with the barbell, and avoid knocking it) there is very little chance it will become infected. If it gets green or dark yellow puss, becomes warm to the touch, red and swollen, it is infected amd a course of antibiotics will sort it out no problem [Smile]

I've read the guidelines and cannot find anything which says I cannot post a link to another forum but if that is the case please feel free to edit this post suitably [Smile]
Going to This Forum (Tribaletic) Will help you ask any further questions and give you adequite advice to care for yourself properly [Smile]

Good Luck!!

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's safer to get a loop rather than a barbell when you first get your belly button peirced. They are easier to keep clean and you can turn them frequently to clean around your belly button.

Sea salt soaks rock. Mine barely got infected. Talk to your piercer to explain any details. Also, some people (including myself) are allergic to some types of steel. Make sure you ask what your loop (or barbell if you choose) is made of. When I got my tongue pierced, my barbell had nickel in it and I had some nasty sores in my mouth.

Surgical steel is popular in body jewelry. I'd recommend getting one of those. Nowadays I think that is what body jewelry is generally made of, but it would be wise to make sure, just in case you don't know of any allergies.

Also, I would avoid any chemicals in water, like a swimming pool or jacuzzi, the chlorine could give you an icky infection if it was just recently done.

If you can wear low cut shorts, jeans, skirts, etc for the first few weeks, that would be best. If not, it may be a good idea to put a bandage over it, but not for an excessive amount of time. Bandages block oxygen and it needs oxygen to heal.

Those are some more tips. Good luck!

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherry Gurl
Neophyte
Member # 29491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherry Gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies!

--------------------
....:::...*((LaRi))*...:::....

Posts: 12 | From: Venezuela | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DO NOT TURN OR MOVE THE JEWELLERY WHATSOEVER
It drags bacteria into the 'wound'. You treat piercings like wounds, so thats why turning the jewellery is very very bad!
imagine an accident where some foreign object is in a wound,although this situation means the foreign object isnt sterile like a piercing, you wouldnt try to move it about because it delays healing and would get all sorts dragged in.
Barbells get knocked much less. Rings twist a lot, get knocked from side to side (the way it should not move at all, as it is curved)
Surgical steel of a good grade will leave very little room for allergic reactions, but if this does occur titanium almost always works.
When you say "Mine barely got infected."
It was probably because of you twisting the ring and dragging all sorts of nasties into the hole.
Piercings don't get infected with correct aftercare.
If you have a responsible piercer he will tell you all of this.
sea salt soaks, and cotton buds dipped in this solution, are all your piercing needs to stay sterile and clean.

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually told to turn the piercing a few times a day, spraying desinfectant on it before and after. I had my piercing done at a reputable studio, and it turned out just fine.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have the slip of after care procedures where it recommends turning a few times a day. I'm pretty sure that is accurate information. But, should I happen to be wrong, contact a respectable piercer. Only they know the correct information. I'm not a professional, I can only try to guide by experience.

And if you are cleaning it as you are supposed to, there should be no bacteria to drag into the wound. If you soak it in sea salt and care for it per the aftercare procedures, it shouldn't pose as a problem.

Barbells make cleaning more difficult because it doesn't leave room enough to move around. You cannot clean it correctly and entirely.

Barbells can get caught on pants, buttons, anything, and can cause tears if snugged upon. Loops are less likely to be pulled around.

But, as I said before, it is personal preference.

Although loops are recommended by most of the piercers I am familiar with.

[ 06-27-2006, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: oOo Lea oOo ]

--------------------
Has sealed your fate.
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

I've been given terrible advice from piercers, but there is bacteria on skin and clothes, and also, its healthy for a piercing to have a crust called lymph, and this can be immensely painful if the ring is turned.
Tribaletic aftercare Is renowned as an excellant site because pofessionals have come together to find the best aftercare. Its a lot to read but on all of my piercings it has given the best results as opposed to the ones i turned when i didnt know any better, and using chemicals etc.
Those piercings were uncomfertable and unhealthy, and my first septum piercing rejected out of the bottom of my nose due to terrible advice.
People often get lucky when using bad aftercare so they think nothing of it, and I think it would be a lot healthier if you looked at this aftercare page, and decide for yourself what you want to do.
Of course, it is your body and your piercings so youre free to choose whichever path you like, although I hate to think that money was wasted on something which you were all set to look after and then it go a bit wrong [Frown]

oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Cherry Girl, Everyone takes a chance of getting some sort of infection when something foreign is placed in or on the body.

It will be best to get the opinion of the peircer of your choice for proper aftercare instructions and procedures, and have them answer any and all questions you may have.

Before you go in, like a day or so, write down questions on a piece of paper so you are sure not to forget anything.

Since each of us here have different opinions on what is or isn't healthy, and the thought of an infection or stretching concerns you, I would definitely get a professional point of view.

It would do more for you to give you peace at mind and help you to make the right decision on whether you want it done, or you don't.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for the best.

**[ Just FYI, NoisyPinkBubbles, I found this on the Tribaletic website.

quote:
spin the jewelry so that the ball on the jewelry rests on one hole of your piercing; then, spin it so that the ball rests on the opposite hole. This process will help run some soap into the wound, helping to ward off bacteria. After spinning the jewelry back and forth several times, rinse the area and jewelry thoroughly while continuing to spin the jewelry back and forth. (Tip: Do not place your piercing directly into the shower’s streaming water. Instead, try to redirect the water with your hands in order to reduce the intensity of rinsing.) If your starter jewelry is not a captive bead ring or circular barbell, try your best to perform the above process without overworking and irritating the area
Just wanted to point that out.

You can read more HERE

Also note, that the soap being used is antibacterial, not ordinary bath soap or body wash of any kind.

[ 06-28-2006, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: oOo Lea oOo ]

--------------------
Has sealed your fate.
Atreyu

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I lot of people have their belly button piercing infected after having it pierced. It doesn't mean that the guy or the girl who pierced your belly button didn't have a sterilize needle.

After having it pierced, you have to sterilize it after with alcohol but again, this doesn't work for everyone.

Just be aware that it might not work for you, that it might become infected. Don't take for granted that if you go to a really good clinic where all the things are sterilized, you won't get infected. This doesn't have everything to do with that.

Also, for the pregnancy thing, your belly will stretch for sure and the hole might not be so great looking after that. I've seen people that regret their decision because of that.

So, think about it. It's your decision. I don't want to influenze you in any way, it's up to you.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming your piercing was done at a reputable parlor, as long as you follow the directions on the care sheet and very carefully(but thoroughly) clean the piercing on a regular basis, you should heal up just fine, barring any unforseen circumstances.

Regarding pregnancy, depending on your body type, you may or may not feel comfortable leaving the piercing in. Either you or your doctor would be the best person to make this decision, because the two of you know your body best.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyrogirl666
Neophyte
Member # 26827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyrogirl666     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know,but from my eperience i would say that LOOPS SUCK HORRIBLY!!!! i bent down to tie my shoe right after i got my belly bottun pierced and when i got up the loop had gotten stuck on my belt and pulled sooo frickin much. it started bleeding and whtnot. but yea my opinion....get the barbell.
**oh it still healed fine and everything and looks really cute, but it sucked**

Posts: 5 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.