Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » scar cover-up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: scar cover-up?
Rory
Neophyte
Member # 29215

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Rory     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new, as y'all can tell, and just wanted to say that this site is amazing.
That said, I have a question...
I used to self-injure, from when I was 14 to last February, and though I've stopped, it's still an issue in the form of seven pink flat scars remaining on my forearm. I'm applying for summer jobs, and summer jobs mean tshirt uniforms. I don't know that I NEED to cover them, per se, but I would LIKE to, as I'm far from proud of them, and I'd really prefer that my mother did not see them. Anyone know any ways to disguise them? They are not raised or different in texture from the rest of my arm, nor are they shiny. They're just pink, and when I'm exercising or it's hot, a little darker. They're fading, but I fear they won't completely in time for summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
~Rory~

Posts: 8 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've found that people tend to rarely notice the scars. I'm always expecting people to stare and give me looks, but it never happens. And even those who do see them, don't draw the right conclusions. Most people are still unfamiliar enough with self-injury that it'd be the last thing that enters their minds. In all the years that I've had my scars, I've only ever had one person not only notice the scars, but draw the right conclusions and comment on it.

I think your best bet would be to just accept the scars as a part of you. That doesn't mean you should be proud of them, just means you should accept that your past is part of who you are and that that's just the way it is.

If you really do want to hide them, applying some foundation should do the trick. They won't make them completely visible, but they'll make them far less noticable.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory
Neophyte
Member # 29215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rory     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Foundation...like a cover-up stick? Thanks!
It's not so much an issue that I haven't accepted them, it's that I am terrified that my mother will see them. My best friend was just thrown out of her house when she told her father that she had been cutting, and asked if she could go into therapy. That, and, I don't want a potential employer to judge me based on them, and deny me the job in question.
Thanks again!
Rory

Posts: 8 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, thats awful about your friend. it gives me shivers just thinking about her losing her home because she tried to get help.

but anyways, i have similar scars, and people really dont notice. its very suprising. or if they do, they dont say anything. i've been rubbing pure vitmin e oil into them twice a day for months and its really working. you can buy a small roll on thingy of it in any health food store. whole foods also carries vitamin e oil. its a bit sticky, but definatey worth it.

congradulations on becoming healthy and good luck with the scars!

--------------------
"they say you can bear anythng if you can tell a story about it."

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to post a similar question. It's about my cousin. She cut herself pretty badly a while back ,and she has several of those little pink scars on her forearm, plus one very big reddish one that sticks out. She never did it again, thank God, but I still get chills when I see her at school. It's too hot here to wear a sweater all day, so she pretty much has to expose them. I told her to make up a cover story for them, because lots of people were asking about them, especially the really big one.

I'll definitely tell her about the vitamin e oil and foundation, but is there anything that can be done about the shiny textured one?

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mellygirl
Activist
Member # 28588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mellygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a shiny textured scar, not from cutting, just from donating too much plasma so I can pay rent. I use cover girl foundation. When I put it on my lack-of-sleep eyes every morning, I throw some on my arm too. If it's really bad (like I've donated recently and made the scar bigger and shiny-er), I use this stick stuff. It's in like a tube and it's navy blue. I bought it for zits in middle school. It's so old tho that the label rubbed off. But then I put the powdery foundation on top to keep it from being so obviously covered up... plus then you can blend it in to the rest of your arm better. Hope I helped a little. If I figure out what the stick-stuff once was, I'll let you know [Smile]

--------------------
*Melanny*

Posts: 175 | From: Midwest US | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mina
Neophyte
Member # 29057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some foundation will work. And maybe scar cream can help them fade faster.

--------------------
In a city created with
a perfection calculation,
there is only one truth. I love you.

Posts: 31 | From: Washington | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindz
Neophyte
Member # 27651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
umm just curious.... what's plasma?
Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mellygirl
Activist
Member # 28588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mellygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
plasma's part of your blood. Like, you get hooked up to this big machine, and they put a needle in your arm. They take out your blood (like the red cross would, etc) and then they separate the red blood from the plasma. They keep the plasma and put your red blood cells back in you, along with some stuff to keep you hydrated and keep your blood from clotting. It sounds crazy, I know. But, it helps make medicines and stuff that save lives. Plus, they pay you for your time. And you can donate up to 2ce a week, which I used to do. Now I'm down to 2-3 times a month. It's a great way to make some money and help people too. You do start to end up with a scar tho, if you poke in the same spot every time (especially if you go before the last one healed fully). Most people switch arms or veins each time, so they have 4 different spots to donate from (2 veins in each arm), but I only have one vein that works (and it works really, really good:D)

[ 06-13-2006, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: mellygirl ]

--------------------
*Melanny*

Posts: 175 | From: Midwest US | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
woah, thats awesome, how do you find a place to donate? and how much do they pay you? and are there any medical risks? sorry if this is off topic, i'm just really interested. you can email me if thats better.

--------------------
"they say you can bear anythng if you can tell a story about it."

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PMC
Neophyte
Member # 29369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PMC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several different scar reducing products on the market, the one I'm most familiar with from work in my clinic is Mederma, it's a topical gel that reduces the noticed raising and pigmentation that comes with scars. This is also a great product for stretch marks and acne scars. It's not cheap, a small tube can run up to almost $20 depending on your region, if you have a good health care plan get a referal to a dermatologist and they may have samples you can try.
Apart from the physical impact of scars, especially self-inflicted ones, is an emotional impact. I would say that while you have unattractive memories of the events that resulted in those injuries, you're a different person now. Learn to live with what you are, that can do more to cover those scares than any make up or medication can.

--------------------
PMC

Posts: 7 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mellygirl
Activist
Member # 28588

I don't have your emails, sooo...
well, you donate at centers. I don't know as though they'd have any in your area... they're kinda few and far between. And I believe the different centers may pay different amounts, mine is $20 the first time for the week and $30 dollars the second time that week. So, basically, if you go 2ce a week, it's $200. It's called BioLife Plasma something or other.

As far as I know, there are no medical risks. They do a short health exam each time before you donate, and they also check your blood during each donation to make sure you're healthy. So, basically, if you have too low of iron, not well hydrated, weigh not enough, have too low or high of a heart rate, etc, they don't let you donate. Also, they keep track of what meds you are on to make sure it won't be a problem. Every year they give you a free full (required) physical, and every six months they do a half physical.

As far as side effects / problems, there are a few. It takes about 1-1.5 hrs to donate each time, including the short health exam. So, it's really not that long, unless you have a problem. There's always a chance of infection when getting poked, sometimes your vein will burst (ouch! It hasn't happened to me and my one good vein yet, but I've watched it happen to Andrew and my roomies... they all look pretty sore after), sometimes your vein will start to collapse, and so they have to stop and wait a while before trying again, you can get a yucky scar if all of your veins aren't receptive and you use the same one each time, etc.

I actually passed out once like 4 hrs later... in the bathroom outside my class. Really embarassing (mostly because my friends know I took a nap in the SAME spot last year when I got my period during class and couldn't move). They took me to the hospital and hydrated me up and sent me home... I did faint a couple more times before I started to feel better. Mostly, I was just embarassed. It was totally my fault, I shouldn't have donated that day (I was pretty hung over, and not hungry, so I didn't have much to eat that day, and I'd slept like crap). But, if you take good care of yourself, you can help other people! I think the risks are worth it [Big Grin]

--------------------
*Melanny*

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.