Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » it's all about the genes right? but from which parent?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: it's all about the genes right? but from which parent?
Electro057
Neophyte
Member # 26144

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Electro057     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a male but, and this is where it gets interesting, i have never seen my dad. So i am 15 and i wonder where does your appearance come from? Which genes determine your height, hairyness ect? And what parent do they come from? cause my mom has no hair and i haven't ever seen my dad so who will i be like?
Plus does your voice come from your parents or is it individual? Does the baldness gene come from yur mom or dad? And what about the amont of melanin cause that effects your skin and hair and eye color? So what parent do you take after? My hopothesis will be if you are a male then you will look similar to your father because you are of the same sex.

--------------------
""I believe everyone has at least one skill that they excel in over all others. Its something that defines who they are." - chaos @ Xenosaga

Posts: 28 | From: Guelph, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soggypaper
Neophyte
Member # 28696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soggypaper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm a bio student, so I really tried to give your question a good answer, but it's just not working! Genetics is a very complicated matter, and it takes a while to understand it.

This is a good site that I think may be able to answer some of your questions. It's predominantly about eye color, but it has to do with genetics in general, and I think it may help you.

http://www.seps.org/cvoracle/faq/eyecolor.html

I don't really take after either of my parents. In fact, I look nothing like them except for a few features here and there, but those similarities aren't even that obvious.

Posts: 11 | From: here | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a lot of questions in there! Wow!

It's often accepted that baldness is maternal. That's excellent for me, considering that my father is bald and my mother still has a head of hair. [Smile]

That's an interesting hypothesis that you have. If that is the case, how would you explain the fact that I more closely resemble my father, as do my brothers, even though we have different mothers? Our baby pictures are nearly identical. It's kinda funny.

I phyisically resemble my father more, though I have some of my mother's finer personality traits. Like her fiery nature.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no evidence to support the idea that sons resemble their fathers more, or daughters take after their mothers more. Genetics isn't that simple. Baldness, for instance, can be inherited from either your mother or your father (sorry, DarkChild!! [Wink] ).

Basically, the traits you inherit from each parent are decided by chance. That's why, for instance, I look exactly like my father even though I'm female, but my voice is almost identical to my mother's and we have very similar personalities. It's just random.

[ 05-07-2006, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5728 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Electro057
Neophyte
Member # 26144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electro057     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh ok i kinda assumed that you may more closely resemble one of your parents but thanx for the responses.

--------------------
""I believe everyone has at least one skill that they excel in over all others. Its something that defines who they are." - chaos @ Xenosaga

Posts: 28 | From: Guelph, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's okay, Karybu. [Big Grin]

At least for me, if I did get my dad's genes on that, then I'd be going bald now. Which isn't happening.

Go thick hair!

To get an idea of how genetics works, google "Punnett Squares" and follow what they say. It really is totally and utterly random.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djynnjah
Activist
Member # 20056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djynnjah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many human characteristics are polygenic, meaning they are controlled by more than one gene. If you have one tall parent and one short parent, for simplicity's sake, we could say half your height genes code for 'tall', half code for 'short' and you end up at an in-between height. Skin color works much the same way. My siblings and I share almost the same skin color, which is in the middle between our light-skinned mother and dark-skinned father. In most cases, even a tall person may have a few 'short' genes. Depending on what the random combinations at sperm/egg formation and fertilization end up being, there can be a lot of variation even among siblings.

The sperm/ovum has only half the genetic material from a normal cell and there is some real mixing and matching during formation, so which half of the genetic material ends up in the final products is for practical purposes, completely random. Traits that may be genetically recessive (overpowered by other genes and therefore unseen) in the parents could still show up in the child, if the particular genetic combination at fertilization allows it. That way, you could end up with something that bears no resemblance at all to either parent. The inheritance of most characteristics has nothing to do with which parent they came from. Like everyone said before, it's random. [Big Grin]

[ 05-11-2006, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Djynnjah ]

Posts: 65 | From: Caribbean | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.