Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » redheads..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: redheads..
Marquis_de_Carabas
Neophyte
Member # 28410

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Marquis_de_Carabas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any other redheads find themselves being bullied for thier hair colour? in the UK it seems a massive problem. At first i thought it was just the area that i (have the misfortune0 to live in, but it seems to happen everywhere i go. I'm a redhead and frequently i've had people (kids younger than me, teenagers and adults) shout abuse at me in the streets, but most of all at school. It's always the same stuff, "ginger", "ging," "ginger pubes", "carrot-top" etc and although I'm used to it, it has really harmed my confidence. It's also worrying that young children are just as bad as the teenagers, so it's obviously not concentrated to one 'group'. But what I'm asking is, does this happen to other redheads in other countries or is it just this bizarre European thing? I mean, in France and Spain, when i;ve gone there, i got called a "pikey" about 14 times, on top of all of the usual insults. [Mad]

--------------------
How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.

Posts: 28 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's fairly universal. We're a rare breed. [Smile]

But if it's any consolation, it usually passes in time. In fact, for many redheads as they get older, you and your hair and freckles may wind up getting (sometimes unwanted) attention of the polar opposite to this.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The grass is always greener... [Wink]

If it makes you feel any better, I always used to want to be a redhead (no doubt influenced in part by my youthful love of Anne of Green Gables). While I'm a big advocate of liking oneself regardless, I think you can easily rest assured that for every person who makes a cruel comment (and boy do some of them sound cruel) there's another who envies the hell out of you (and quite possibly the person commenting and the person envying are one and the same).

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
likewhoa19
Activist
Member # 28218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for likewhoa19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To support Beppie's point, I have always thought redheaded females are beautiful, for instance. Queen Elizabeth 1st was a strawberry blonde, and it was considered one of her greatest assets, her hair that looked like a sunrise.
Posts: 193 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elizabeth I actually wore a wig for most of her life, because she was bald due to illness. Her greatest assest (even if she had had the best hairdo in Tudor England) was her brilliant, subtle mind.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also always been envious of red hair. My natural color is platinum blonde (which doesn't even look natural on me!), and I spent several years trying to get rid of it. My attempts resulted in flaming red hair, and I'm loving it.

If it makes you feel any better, I got bullied for my hair as well. Comments like "nazi girl" and "aryan bitch" were pretty common when I was growing up. Ironically, there isn't a single German person in my entire family, and we've traced it back to the 13th century. My family would have been killed. We trace our roots back to some of the founders of the Underground Railroad, and we all have rather distinct Cherokee features (bone structure, eye shape, etc) that I don't believe would have been embraced in that time period.

The point is, yes, it hurts, but it's ignorance. Ignorant people aren't worth your time or attention.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
likewhoa19
Activist
Member # 28218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for likewhoa19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose I was thinking physical asset. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking pride in physical assets, I just think there's something wrong with an attitude that there's shame in not being the cultural-ideal. But truly, people recorded being struck by Elizabeth's hair when she was young.
Posts: 193 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Totally, Likewhoa, I think it's great to revel in our physical assests, whatever they are. [Smile] I do think though that a physical feature should not outshine something like a brilliant mind-- though I'm sure that you are right in that Elizabeth definitely had to deal with people who perceived her physical body as the most significant thing about her.

(Sorry to get off topic [Razz] )

loudasthehelliwant
Neophyte
Member # 28148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loudasthehelliwant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite honestly, I find redheads EXTREMELY attractive. LOL.

And I always wanted to be one too. :-)

[ 04-20-2006, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: loudasthehelliwant ]

Posts: 7 | From: Chicago | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've ALWAYS wanted red hair. You always want what you can't have. For me, (a straight-as-a-board brunette), I always wanted flowy, loose red curls. :-)

What you have is rare, and COVETED! Embrace it! Usually, awful sneers are from those who are jealous, anyways! ;-)

--------------------
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 231 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My partener is "red head" and i love it, as myself ive always wanted straight hair as my is curly as anything and spend hours straightenig it. You shouldnt let sniggers or rude comments get to you, its not worth it, they are just jealous

--------------------
Behind every great man is a great woman

Posts: 91 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bloke has lovely strawberry blonde hair and everyone in our classes at school know it's only acceptable for me to call him ginge because i use it as an 'adorable' nickname as he so puts it. If anyone else calls him ginge he hates it. Also alot of my family have ginger, red, auburn, strawberry blonde hair and i myself have a slight reddish tint to my hair. I have three cousins and two half cousins with beautiful auburn hair and a the newest addition has the most gorgeous strawberry blonde hair ever.

So, yes, be proud of your red hair because when you're older people will love it!

Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marquis_de_Carabas
Neophyte
Member # 28410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marquis_de_Carabas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies. [Smile]
I think im learning to appreciate my hair..I went through a phase when the bullying was really bad and i hated it. Then I discovered pre-raphaelite artwork..kinda like the idea that redheads were the main muse of many famous artists in that period.
I was just curious to know whether it was only a problem for redheads in britain, or whether its a ''worldwide'' thing. Seems it is fairly so.
I also read somewhere on the internet that redheads are "dying out" as a hair colour, because its an ultra-recessive gene (or something sciencey) which is being more and more dominated by brown and blonde type genes, which are, i think, dominant. So now we're rare and endangered, mwaha.

--------------------
How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.

Posts: 28 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, my also-redheaded partner once felt a lot crappier about his red hair.

...until he went bald. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.