Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » What is the secret to bra sizes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the secret to bra sizes?
Lindz
Neophyte
Member # 27651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, I was reading the who discussion on boobs and people talking all about what they like about their boobs. But I have a quesiton and I wasnt' sure if it would get answered there (didnt' want to end up double posting to get the answer) One ofhte volunteers said that the like 34,36,38, and such were your rib cage size, but I dont' quite understand that. See I was sporting 34Cs but then had to move uptoe a 36 C as they were fuller onthe sides and I needed th cup size to be wider. So i don't understand how that really works as my ribs never changed, it was my breasts. Also, I realize I seem more like a D, but I don't know hwo to find the right size for me. Cauase when I checked the difference whe n Iwent bra shopping, a 34D seemed smaller than 36C. I think I may need to get a D bra to have optimum fit and support, but I jsut dont' know what to get. a 36 D will be to big, but wont' a 34 D be to small as I needed the 36 originally to fit the side fullness of my breasts? please give clearity if possible! thanks!
Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go get fitted.

Really, it's the easiest way to do this, and any store you buy brassieres at should have someone there to fit you.

But yes: the numercial size is the band size, where the bottom of your breasts are.

A cup size can't really be "wider," so much -- it's the measuremant for what juts out. So, yes, if you needed more room on the sides, you'd usually go up in band size.

If you can't find a staff person to fit you, just try on a bunch of different sizes and styles. Often, each maker isn't consistent anyhow, so it's typical to wear one size in a given brand, and another in another brand.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindz
Neophyte
Member # 27651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you may notife I have adouble post.. it was an accident honest!!! I pushed liek post twice or something,, I TRULY didn't mean it!

Thanks [Big Grin] I'm goingo go try. But see, when I like compare the 34C wit ha 36C, the cup is significantly wider on the sides. I guess I'll just have to go shopping to really know. But thanks alot, I hop eI find what's right.. oh.. in ym double post (SORRY) I had added something.. ithinkthat's why it posted it again, I pushed back probably .. I asked somethign else :

"Also, my right boob is like a half a cup size bigger than my left, so when I try to get a bra, if I get a size to fit the right, the left cup is a bit roomy, but if I get a bra to fir the left, the right is popping out slightly. I do not want to wear padding in the left to help with the roominess, I'm big enough already! "

SORRY for the mistake [Frown] and thanks ofr the help!

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But see, when I like compare the 34C with a 36C, the cup is significantly wider on the sides.
Exactly, and it should be: the cup size is the same, but that band size is larger.

A half cup-size difference is actually a pretty small difference: we're talking less than half an inch. So, that really shouldn't be a big deal at all. It's not for most women, as very few women have perfectly symmetical breasts.

If that DOES bug you, you can opt to just wear sports bars instead of bars with individual cups. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindz
Neophyte
Member # 27651

hehe, I dislike sports bras, I dont' know why, I jsut like the way I feel in like cupped bras. well personally, I can't judge the difference in cup difference, as you can see I don't quite understnad the great differences in size jumping. It could be a whole cup for I know. my 36C seems to fit my left pretty well, but it'sthe right that keeps popping out. If I do choose to move up to a D cup, and the 36 is fitting now with the C, would yo usuggest i keep the 36 or move down to a 34? ( I knwo I have to try stuff on, but from what you think/know)
Heather
Member # 3

I'd say to try moving up that cup size, then.

Bear in mind that you can always adjust the strap for the smaller breast: that'll make the cup tighter on that sid, by putting it more taughtly against the breast.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually if you go up a cup size, you'll want to go down a band size. For example, a 36D is pretty close to a 38C.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindz
Neophyte
Member # 27651

Oh thanks so much!?! [Smile] you've been a nice help [Big Grin] I am now more educated. You guys are great

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.