Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Q about the Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Q about the Pill
curlyQtee
Neophyte
Member # 26733

Icon 10 posted      Profile for curlyQtee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so I don't really know much about this and that is why I'm asking.
I have been on the pill now for maybe a year. I sometimes missed pills but I took them as soon as I remembered which was always in the same day that I was supposed to take it. But Yesterday I forgot to take it and didn't realize until today. I'm going to see my boyfriend tonite and I'm sure that he is going to want to have sex, and I would like to also, but I'm affraid of being at risk of getting pregnant. I know that we could use a condom but we don't use them anymore since I'm on the pill, and he doesn't have anymore, so we just wouldn't have sex at all if it's risky. It's in my first week of the cycle of pills so I just had my period last week. I took the pill that I missed yesterday along with the one today. So I just want to know if it is a risk to have sex tonite.

Posts: 12 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 10 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, missing a pill for a whole 24 hours can constitute a lapse in the pill's effectiveness. I would say that having unprotected sex tonight could be risky - though if you and your partner aren't up to date with your STD screenings, it's risky in that regard, too.

My suggestion? Keep condoms around/with you anyway since paired with the pill, they're a pretty good combo, and insurance against both STD/STIs and things that weaken the pills effectiveness like antibiotics, or missing a pill as you did yesterday.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.