Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » diet supplements, how safe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: diet supplements, how safe?
brokenheart9
Neophyte
Member # 27094

Icon 10 posted      Profile for brokenheart9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am planning to start taking diet supplements but i heard that they are not that safe to use!!!the ones im going to use are ephedra free, does that make them any safer. how much more weight per week should i expect to lose on supplements plus diet and excercise.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't recommend using diet supplements here. Usually, they are produced by people who are more interested in making money than in helping you lose weight healthily. Generally, they interfere with the nutrition you get from your food, can affect your metabolism, and they don't provide a long term solution to an unhealthy lifestyle-- if you lose weight this way, you will most likely regain it very quickly. You could probably find out more specific information by googling the supplements you're thinking about (go to a site isn't being paid to advertise the product).

You said in your previous post that your eating habits tend centre around emotional issues. I can only echo Darkchild's advice that you look to the root of these emotional issues, with the help of a counsllor if possible. Using diet supplements is really placing an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, rather than building a fence at the top of it (and a rather unreliable ambulance it is too!) It won't help you solve the problem of why you overeat, and it won't help change your habits in a positive way.

Lastly, we always recommend to our users that if you're going to make your lifestyle more healthy through healthy foods and exercise, that you focus on the health aspect of it. Do it because it makes your body a better tool for enjoying your life, whatever size it is. Some people, when healthy, are naturally more chubby than others, so it makes no sense to make your weight the focus. If you wake up every morning feeling fit and happy, any concerns about your weight will become quite secondary, or diappear altogether.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.