Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the pill
my name
Activist
Member # 24959

Icon 10 posted      Profile for my name     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive been on the pill for nearly 2 months. i have taken them all the way through and havent had a period obviously. im coming to the end of my third pack. i was just wondering how harmful it would be to continue ont my fourth packet without a break. i'll be off the pill then. i'm taking it beacause i'm anaemic. would it be okay to do that?
Posts: 76 | From: - | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really should consult your doctor about this. We don't actually recommend that you use the pill to skip periods (or, to be more correct, withdrawal bleeds), particularly not on a long-term basis, since there aren't any long term studies to show what the effects of doing so may be. However, if you are on the pill for anaemia, then you really ought to consult with your doctor about when you should have a withdrawal bleed-- we aren't doctors, and we're certainly not qualified to make judgements about your case over the internet.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
my name
Activist
Member # 24959

Icon 10 posted      Profile for my name     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i really can't ask my doctor because i was told to go on it so my period would be lighter, not to stop my period. it was just so tempting to do it. my mother doesnt know and she would kill me. ill have to make a decision myself and i really dont know what to do. i just want to know that it's not going to seriously damage me or anything.will it ?? Thanks for your help
Posts: 76 | From: - | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Beppie said, we really don't know what the effects are of taking the pill continuously, because no long-term studies have been done. The best person to ask in this case really is the doctor who originally prescribed the pill for you. If you're worried your doctor will be upset with you, don't be. I guarantee they've seen pretty much everything under the sun when it comes to pill-taking, and they're the only one who's qualified to decide what you should do in this case.
Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 10 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear as well...we're not saying that you have to make an appointment and go see your doctor in order to get an answer for this. A simple phone call to the office should allow you to clear up the question.

You should never feel like you can't ask your doctor something -- especially when you're talking about a medication that you are putting into your body. As you are taking this as a treatment for anaemia, you really really need to ask about this. If you're not taking the med the way it is intended to treat your particular issue, then it may not work correctly for you.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.