Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Is this a phobia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this a phobia?
Ascalon_Vice
Neophyte
Member # 23438

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ascalon_Vice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a friend who thinks she might have Achluophobia (fear of the dark). She absolutely refruses to open her eyes in the dark, and she often stays up really late at night. On top of that, she won't go into ANY room without turning on a light.

I hope she doesn't, but if not a phobia, than what is it? I really want to help her, because I know how bad phobias can be. What should I do?

Posts: 17 | From: Ohio, United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 10 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The classification between bad fears and phobias can be a bit tricky. Phobias, in general, are severe, anxiety and panic causing fears of a certain condition/object/etc. But something like a fear of the dark may stem more from a fear of the unkown, a fear of not being able to see what's around you, worry of possible danger because of such, etc.

Even not being a phobia, whether it is or isn't, this fear and anxiety she has related to the dark are worrisome. It is affecting her meantal AND physical health if she isn't sleeping well because of this as well as the anxiety she's expereincing in general.

Anxiety/fear IS a real mental disorder, and as such, it may be helpful for her to seek out a counselor who can help her overcome this anxiety so she can feel more comfortable in the dark and be able to actually start sleeping more normal hours.

All you can do as her friend is offer her these ideas, there's nothing more you can do than that as well as just being there for her as a friend. You can't force her into counseling, certainly, but you could definitely try to present possible ideas for help to her.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.