Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Period but still worried, please help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period but still worried, please help!
Starryskies
Neophyte
Member # 26946

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Starryskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I lost my virginity to my boyfriend on January 1st and it was one day before my period was supposed to begin. We used a condom but when putting it on he at first put it on backwards and we just flipped it over and used it. I don't know how muchr isk there is involved with doing that,but we only had one condom. I also used spermicidal foam.

I got freaked out because my period was late, and on the 8th late day it started after a couple days of spotting (normal for me) along with breast tenderness.

I've been getting worried because I've heard some girls say they still had their periods while pregnant. My period I'm on now has been about 2 days with normal heavy bleeding and a lot of clotting,as always.However, I haven't gotten much cramping and usually I do. Could I still be pregnant? I'm not thinking so, but I wanted some clarification for future reference as this is new to me and to clear my mind a little.

Thanks.

P.S.-I've also decided fromt his experience that my freaking out means I'm not really ready and I'm choosing not to remain sexually active, at least until I can get on the pill or something.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, I think it's pretty safe to say that you're not pregnant. You can't actually have a period while you are pregnant-- some women experience spotting and mistake it for a light period, but as you have said you are having a normal, heavy flow, this doesn't seem likely.

It's great that you've been able to assess your situation and decide that you're not ready to continue having sex right now, but just so you know for the future: if a condom goes on backwards, you need to discard the condom. Not only is there a pregnancy and STD risk there from pre-ejaculate, which can contain sperm, but condoms are only designed to be stretched over a penis once-- if you do so again, the risk of it breaking will be increased. We also recommend not using spermicide at Scarleteen-- it is basically soap, and can irritate your vagina, increasing the risk of an infection. It is far more effective just to make sure that you are using plenty of water-based lube with your condom-- this does not irritate your vagina, and prevents the condom from breaking.

As there was an STI transmission risk as a result of this condom inversion, you and your partner also need to get yourselves tested, now and again in six months.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starryskies
Neophyte
Member # 26946

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Starryskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. He didnt stretch it completely down we realized pretty quickly it was backwards and it didnt break or anything.

I had no problems with the spermicide and my skin's really sensitive but it was annoying and messy and I wouldnt want to use it again.

Thanks for answering quickly, I just read all this stuff about women saying they had their period and were pregnant.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.