Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Sweat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sweat
mhm111
Neophyte
Member # 20339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mhm111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I know this sounds kind of disgusting but for some reason the palms of my hands, and my feet sweat ALOT, and my doctor says I don't have hyperheidrosis, so I don't know whats wrong, or how to make it better. It's kind of annoying becaue I can't wear flip flops in the summer, and I don't like making body contact that involves my hands,unless they are covered, which is annoying when it comes to shaking hands etc. So i was just wondering if you have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this or at least make it a little better.Thx alot!
Posts: 25 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Electro057
Neophyte
Member # 26144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electro057     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that is a disorder that causes you to sweat excessively and my little cousin has it. she is getting a surgery done that will alter the glands that produce the reaction to sweat so she won't sweat that much anymore. maybe you could get the same surgery. but i do not know how much it costs.

[This message has been edited by Electro057 (edited 01-06-2006).]

Posts: 28 | From: Guelph, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovekillsme
Neophyte
Member # 27124

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lovekillsme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Medication may be taken internally that works to block the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, from stimulating the sweat glands. Some of the more useful medications include the anticholinergics (such as glycopyrrolate or atropine), some antihistamines, some antidepressants, and some of the tranquilizers. However, these medications will also affect other parts of the body, and may have side-effects, including dry mouth, drying of other secretions or constipation.

One new approach that may work on small areas of skin that have excessive sweating is to inject botulinum toxin (Botox(R)) into small areas of the skin (such as the underarms), which blocks the acetylcholine for up to 12 months before it wears off.

Home remedy for sweaty hands or feet: Boil five tea bags in a quart of water for five minutes. When the solution cools, soak your hands or feet for twenty to thirty minutes nightly. Tea contains tannic acid, which is also found in commercial products such as Ivy Dry, Zilactol, and Zilactin. The astringent properties of tannic acid are thought to be partly responsible for its antiperspirant action

Posts: 7 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 10 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to take material from another website and post it here verbatim, for the sake of legality, please cite it. Copying without citation is called plagiarism, and you certainly can't do it in school, and it's not really cool here either.

For the record, that chunk of info came from here.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.