Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Ear piercing and sports

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ear piercing and sports
stripe1989
Neophyte
Member # 26837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stripe1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey i just got my ears pierced 3 weeks ago(not cartilage) and im just wondering if i can take them out just for a couple hours for basketball games. my dad says that if i do theyll close up at least partially. is it ok ?????

------------------
Stripe

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stripe1989
Neophyte
Member # 26837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stripe1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and in addition to the last post
the rules say that u HAVE to take ur earings out or u cant play.....u cant just tape them up anymore...
please reply asap cause i have a game tomorrow..(its just a jv game so its not that important, but i have another game,Varsity, on friday which im definitly needed in.

------------------
Stripe

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you're supposed to leave them in for at least 6wks. Taking them out early increases the risk of infection (especially if you're taking them out and putting them back in numerous times) and the holes will likely begin to close over.

So, your dad is right. You should either leave them in, or take them out and leave them out.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stripe1989
Neophyte
Member # 26837

ok so i guess im going to miss up to 10 games b4 i can take them out T_T
oh well i should have thought about this b4 i did it lol
thanks for the info

------------------
Stripe

faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about wearing a retainer in, instead of jewelry? A retainer is made of clear plastic and is used to preserve a piercing without having to wear actual jewelry. For example, some schools ban wearing facial jewelry--so, a girl with a pierced nose can wear a retainer so the hole doesn't close, but it doesn't attract attention and looks like nothing is there.

I don't know why the school policy would be against earrings (unless they're the ultra-glitzy shoulder sweeping kind, but what harm could a stud do?), but if you don't want to lose your piercings you could wear a retainer.

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stripe1989
Neophyte
Member # 26837

the school is not against any kind of jewelry
its just the basketball rules.
you cannot wear any kind of jewelry while on the court in an official game
it used to be that u could tape them up
but now "no jewelry" is the law >->

------------------
Stripe

monkeyboy
Neophyte
Member # 25339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeyboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stripe1989:
[B]the school is not against any kind of jewelry
its just the basketball rules.
you cannot wear any kind of jewelry while on the court in an official game
it used to be that u could tape them up
but now "no jewelry" is the law >->

It sounds like the policy is directed more at the safety of players than toward the actual appearance of piercings, which makes a lot of sense.

A torn piercing could lead not only lead to an injury for the player involved, but it could also prove to be a hazard to other players if they come into contact with any blood (one of the reasons why medics, etc. wear gloves when attending to injured atheletes, or at least they should). I know that's a fairly extreme scenario, but stranger things have happened.

Your best bet is to take the jewelley out and have your ears re-pierced (by a qualified piercer, using a needle and proper jewellery, or course) once the off-season rolls around.

Posts: 11 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stripe1989
Neophyte
Member # 26837

i have basketball season, then soccer season, then i have summer camps which involve lake swimming, we also have a lake house which we go to all the time. then when school comes back i have volleyball and the rest of the sports (im an active person ) there is practically no off-time for me so basically.....where do you get those retainers

------------------
Stripe

Electro057
Neophyte
Member # 26144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electro057     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe you could get them at a jewelery store or a pierceing shop that would make sense because a pierceing shop probably provides pierceing utilities same as a jewelery store.
Posts: 28 | From: Guelph, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stripe1989
Neophyte
Member # 26837

ok thx
ill go see if they have them
it should help *crosses fingers*
lol

------------------
Stripe

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.