Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period
murphy29
Neophyte
Member # 26389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for murphy29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I am 15 and I haven't gotten my period yet. My mom got hers when she was 13. All my friends have gotten theirs already, so I feel out of the loop almost. I am a gymnast, which could be a factor, and I weigh around 107. Is this normal?
Posts: 4 | From: Naperville | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyra_Daemon
Neophyte
Member # 19961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyra_Daemon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine for the first time when i was 15 and a half...don't worry!
Posts: 15 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are a gymnast, chances are you have a low percentage of body fat. You need a certain body fat % to start and maintain your menstrual cycle. I'm guessing you probably don't have the needed %, which would be a very good reason why you haven't gotten your period yet.

You can wait patiently until you are 16 to get you period (have you started developing breasts and pubic hair yet? If so, you are OK; if not, you will want to follow the advice I give next). By then, if you still don't have it, you will want to consult your doctor.

[This message has been edited by JamsessionVT (edited 12-04-2005).]

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murphy29
Neophyte
Member # 26389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for murphy29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
k well then how do I know when I will get my period? Are there any signs I should be looking for?
Posts: 4 | From: Naperville | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murphy29
Neophyte
Member # 26389

Well should there be any signs of when you first start getting your period?
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are no "for certain" things that will happen to herald your first period, although most women do experience some signs, which can include, in the months leading up to first menses, growth spurts, an increase in vaginal discharge (it should be white or clear and smooth in texture). Immediately before your first period (or any other period) you might get cramps, feel bloated, or your skin could break out. However, these things may not happen, or not happen noticably (I know that I did not experience any cramps during my first period). Also, while some women will have a growth spurt in which they seem to grow a foot taller and develop breasts overnight, in others the change is much more gradual. Some women are naturally shorter and built smaller than most, in which case it might not be as noticable.

As JamsessionVT said, if you haven't experienced ANY signs of puberty at all-- no breast development, no pubic hair growth, etc, then see your doctor. However, there aren't any incredibly specific signs that your period is on its way.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, some women experience pain or cramping a week or so before their periods are due. Other than that, you will notice a sort of bloody discharge in your underwear. It is a good idea to have a few sanitary pads/napkins with you in case your period catches you off guard, which it most likely will.

You won't know when you are going to get your first period. It will just sort of show up. Again, you can wait patiently until you are 16 or so. If by then you have not seen any signs of it, you can see your doctor.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.