Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Waxing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waxing
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so I shave my pubic hair regularily, and frankly it's kind of a pain because of all the ingrown hairs, and the redness of shaving too often.

But since I find it uncomfortable when I have hair down there I've been debating a brazilian wax.

Well since I'm currently unemployed and low on cash I was comtemplating buying a home waxing kit and just waxing myself... Now I'd really only wax the Mons, and then shave the rest because I really only have irritation shaving on the Mons.

My question is, is doing it yourself really okay? I know it's probably a heck of alot better to get a professional, but I thought I'd try it out and see what happened.

Has anyone given it a try and want to share their good/bad experience?

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a Brazilian myself, but generally my experiences of waxing, especially waxing close to the genitals (I get my bikini line done sometimes) is that it's best only attempted at home if you know what you're doing; the wax needed to wax the coarse hair around the pubic area can be quite hot, and burns in that area can be painful.

Based on talking to people who are experienced self-waxers, it's best to get it done professionally a few times first.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmajen
Activist
Member # 19913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emmajen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get brazilian waxes regularly and I have to say that even though they are anything but pleasant and you have to pay for them they're worth every penny. I too dislike hair down there and I find brazilians a lot more comfortable than shaving because you only need to get a brazilian every 5-6 weeks whereas you have to shave a lot more often for the same effect. Brazilians also don't leave you with a lot of ingrown hairs and razor burn. However, I would strongly reccomend you go to someone to get it done. I tried to do it myself and it was terrible. The skin there is very very sensitive and a lot of things can go wrong! The wax must be the right temperature or you will either scald your skin and it will peel off or the wax will get to stuck to you and won't come off. Also, the technique for waxing is not nearly as easy as it looks, you will likely be left with some hair and a lot of sensitive skin because it's difficult to wax with the right amount of force to get the hair out but you also have to be gentle enough not to wrench your skin. Anywho, I'd definitely say go for it but do get it done by a professional. You can get a brazilian wax around where I live for about $15 so I'd say if you really want it save up and get it done!
Posts: 44 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubblex
Activist
Member # 17452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubblex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pain - unless you use a numbing spray of some sort (which work wonders)- sucks. However, waxing yourself is quite easy provided that you are reasonably flexible. Where I live it costs about 30-45$ to get a brazilian wax done at a salon. Brazilian Surgiwax costs about 5$ and has enough wax to do the deed 2-3 times. I got it done professionally once, and IMO it hurt much more when she did it.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so I'd like to get it done professionally, but I can't find any place that's seems really that good of a price.
Lowest price I've seen is 50$, which I think is ridiculous.

But I guess that's the average price? Anyone know of any good, cheaper places in Toronto?

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd probably have to phone around. In addition to that though, before making a booking I'd check up on the reputation of the place, to make sure you aren't going somewhere dodgy for the sake of saving a few dollars.

Your other option is growing your pubic hair out for a bit, since shaving has painful after-effects, and waxing is often painful and expensive. It might feel a little odd at first (just as it would feel odd for someone who usually has pubic hair to suddenly go Brazilian), but perhaps it's something to think about; it is the way that your body is naturally, after all, so it can't be that bad.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

I don't think growing the hair out is really an option for me, like I said it's uncomfortable for me when it is longer, and gets really itchy and annoying and I just don't like it, but thanks for the help... if anyone knows of any reputable places in toronto... let me know

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.