Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Big news on HPV & Cervical cancer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big news on HPV & Cervical cancer
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to *this* link, a drug company has come up with a vaccine that blocks HPVs that cause cervical cancer, and reduces HPVs that cause genital warts. It seemed like pretty big news so I thought I'd better post it here.

[This message has been edited by Mophead (edited 10-06-2005).]

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Mophead! How wonderful to see you!)

And this has been in the works for a whiele, so yes, it is FANTASTIC news.

The downside is that in the States, it's incredibly likely that the population which needs it most -- teen women -- may well never be able to get it, or at best, only a limited segment of that population will.

Here's a piece which echoes some of why: http://www.newsobserver.com/print/saturday/business/story/2557725p-8991818c.html

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, so they want to make it up to parents to decide whether their kids should receive the vaccine, because they fear it may promote sexual activity? Isn't the point of a vaccine a "just in case" thing, to prevent disease instead of waiting until after it's already struck and done damage?

I know so many people who are responsible enough to completely handle their own sexual healthcare, yet their parents object, or would object, if they knew, because it's not what they believe is "right". To allow their parents [who may be entirely opposed for no reason other than "I don't want you having sex"] to say no isn't going to help those who need it.

Then again, I'm in the same kind of situation. I make my Planned Parenthood appointments in secret and so on, because even though I'm 18 and can pay/handle all my sexual decisions by myself, I still live at home. And out I would go if they ever found out.

However, this makes me wonder if it's possible for kids to get vaccines without their parents' permission...? Is it?

[This message has been edited by faifai (edited 10-06-2005).]

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Understand that the age which would be most sound for this sort of vaccine would be pre-teen, not teen. Ideally, it'd be childhood.

And no, kids -- literal kids -- can't get vaccines on their own by walking into a doctor's office, especially in a country without socialized health care (remember, many, many people here can't afford even their most basic health care in crisis, let alone preventatively, so not having certain vaccinations be mandatory generally sets up anyone who isn't at least middle class -- and who, by virtue of lower incomes and all that creates, are at greater health risks -- to not get them at all).

Moreover, expecting small children to be in charge of their own healthcare is pretty outer-limits (for a lot of reasons, but primarily because parents and pediatricians are supposed to be acting in the interests of the children's health and caring for them). Your average 9-year-old, for example, is not going to have the opportunity to be well-versed enough in these issues or medicine to have any idea what she needs, or even to really understand the need: mortality isn't really heavy on the minds of most kids.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I didn't know what the ideal age for the vaccine would be. Though it makes sense, since we get most of our other vaccines when we're kids.

The rest of it, however, is pretty disheartening. Parents are supposed to be acting in their kids' interest, so that should logically mean trying to prevent their getting sick. I can understand not being able to afford it and therefore putting it off, I've been there.

But I can't understand why you'd say "no, we're not going to get you protected against cancer," when there's no better reason other than you're afraid it might somehow "push" your child to have sex later on down the road. That's like saying that since there's condoms at the store, they must be "pushing" people everywhere to fornicate like mad.

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hey, I'm with you.

But the analogy you made in your last paragraph -- however faulty, and it truly is; if plain old chemistry isn't enough to entice someone to have sex, a latex sheath isn't about to be the enticement -- is pretty much exactly the sort of horse that drives the cart of that sort of flawed and destructive logic.

And once you start examining that thinking in a context like this, it makes more clear what the fears really are: if they're stated to be disease, but then what keeps disease from occuring is eschewed, the same way some state the far is pregnancy, but then won't permit or support birth control, the fact that it's really fear os sex itself, fear of maturity, fear of loss of control of a child, becomes more obvious.

PERVasive
Activist
Member # 25065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PERVasive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I really try to get inside the minds of people I disagree with and understand their points of view, but I just cannot see any logic whatsoever in opposing this vaccine! It's as they would rather have a lot of people die than have a few procreate. One would think from that position that the people opposed to the vaccine belong to the Church of Euthanasia or something, rather than to conservative Judeo-Christian groups, as is predominantly the case!

But let's not let those crazy people get us down. It's still great news that those vaccines are almost ready!

------------------
- PERVasive

"Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education." - Mark Twain

Posts: 64 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey, Miz S! What's up?)

I always feel horrible when I hear about United States healthcare. My social policy prof bitches about it all the time. His son (an American immigrant) was offered a private room and multiple snacks when he got a minor injury and had to go to the ER. Why? Because he has a high-paying job and some kind of fancy card. My prof on the other hand, in Canada, who makes $115K a year, was treated in a "room" that had drapes for walls, with a homeless man in the next "room." And he said, this is what Canada is all about.

Then I read about U.S. girls who can't go to the doctor for an STD test and it's just so sad. I get my STD tests and pap for free just because I was born on this side of the line. When these new vaccines come to Canada, I could zip to the clinic and get one whenever I want. While people in the richest country in the world die for lack of money. It's unfathomable.

[This message has been edited by Mophead (edited 10-08-2005).]

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.