Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » weight lost and getting trim

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: weight lost and getting trim
papou_fruit
Activist
Member # 15399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for papou_fruit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These days I've noticed how unhealthy I've been what with eating and lack of exercise.
I'm about 140 lbs and 5'1''. I'd like to lose some weight or get my upper arms, waist, and legs toned, and perhaps get back down to 125 lbs like I was about a couple of years ago. My arms and legs are a bit jiggly, but by improving my eating habits and exercising about 30 mins every day...can the "fat" be worked off and could I be able to get a slimmer body?

Some of my friends I've seen have been working out and eating well, they've lost weight, but it doesn't seem to physically show. Is there any sort of "work-out" plan or anything that would help me?

Posts: 68 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For most people, getting your body to a healthier place really is pretty simple. Basically, what it boils down to is:

Get pretty active for a minimum of twenty minutes a day, preferably doing something you truly enjoy: hiking, walking, skating, biking, martial arts, vinyasa yoga, dance, team sports, what have you. Do simple things to become more active overall, like biking or walking rather than driving, always taking stairs rather than elevators, having active hang-out time with friends rather than hanging on the couch.
Ditch or seriously limit junk food, convenience food and heavily processed stuff. That means, you want to get out of the habit (slowly, if you're in it, these changes tend not to work overnight) of drinking sodas, eating frwoxen meals or fast food, chips and candy, etc.
Eat balanced meals composed mostly of fresh, whole foods: plenty of vegetables and fruits, complex carbohydrates, non-meat or lean proteins. Ditch dairy or at least high-fat dairy. Drink plenty of water.
Forget your scale. For fit, active people, those numbers are really meaningless.

And remember that being healthy isn't about how one looks. Mind you, healthier, active people will look...well, healthier and better than those who are not. But when you make getting healthy about appearance, rather than about how you feel and how well your body is, it's a really dead-end when it comes to changing your lifestyle (and it certainly is one in terms of feeling truly good about your whole self).

Remember, too, that it is NORMAL and necessary for adolescents to eat more and weigh more than they did before puberty and than they will afterwords. A healthy weight for you as an adult is not likely to be what it was for you at say, 13 or 14. So, when in doubt, ask your doctor. And make your health and fitness goals about lifestyle, not about scale numbers.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I've been curious for awhile now, because I've seen it mentioned in other places at Scarleteen....what is so bad about dairy? Everything I've ever heard about milk and cheese and yogurt seems to emphasize that it's good for you. So what's up - have nutritionists suddenly changed their minds?
Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dairy as a bad thing? Depends on who you ask.

Dairy can be great for you if you avoid fat. Skim milk is very nutritious, as it nonfat yogurt. Great source of calcium, too. Organic is a good option because many folks are concerned about added hormones. But don't go overboard with being "natural" because there's a movement amongst health nuts to eat raw dairy products. This is bad. Raw dairy is unpasteurized and can carry harmful bacteria. If you eat dairy, you gotta eat pasteurized products! look at the label. if it doesn't say it, don't eat it.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toonses
Neophyte
Member # 25407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to say that raw milk is not really non-pastuerized, it just cannot be called pasteurized because it is not heated high enough for that label. It does contain more vitamins (C, B6) and enzymes (lipase, lactase, and phosphatase) which are heat sensitive, and thus are destroyed in milk carrying the pasteurized label.

It is heated high enough for a large number of pathogens to be destroyed, but they also recommend that anybody who may have a compromised immune system (e.g. someone undergoing cancer treatment, organ transplant, or those infected with diseases such as HIV/AIDS) not drink 'raw' milk.

Personally I don't drink milk (don't like it), although I will eat dairy products such as cheese and yogurt on occasion.

[This message has been edited by toonses (edited 09-20-2005).]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per dairy when it comes to weight loss and fitness, here's the thing: our bodies were not designed to digest the milks (or milk products) of other species. So, political issues about dairy aside, no matter the form, it's tough to digest. Tougher for some, but technically a challenge for every human body.

When you eat things that your body has to work very hard to digest, like dairy, it slows your metabolism down. In fact, nutritionists will generally advise people with naturally slow metabolic rates to ditch dairy to help boost their metabolisms.

Just be sure if you do ditch dairy (and for numerous reasons, personally, I can't encourage that enough) that you are sure to replace the calcium and protein you may then be losing from other sources.

(Suffice it to say, it can sometimes be a very tricky thing to figure out what's good and what isn't when these industries are big, capitalist industries. The dairy industry is HUGE and very for-profit: so, no matter what the sitch, you're automatically going to see extra supprt for it in the cultures and groups which profit most from it. Pretty much all non-western medicine approaches advise severely limiting or cutting out meat and dairy, for both sound health and good energy flow: go figure, when both of these are giant capitalist indistries here, and nearly half of the 11 USDA board members have financial ties to the meat and dairy industry, that U.S. sources often take the opposite approach.)

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 09-20-2005).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Just a tip: one of my favorite books to suggest over the last couple years to help with ditching or getting rid of things like dairy, meat and refined sugar -- as well as explaining well why many people are drawn to them, and what hazards they hold -- is a book called Breaking the Food Seduction, by Neal Barnard, MD (http://www.nealbarnard.org/). It also has some wonderful recipes in it: having eaten holistically for pretty much my whole life, it's pretty rare for things like this to have new ideas to offer me, both in theory and in cooking.

It's far more friendly than most other books I have in terms of people new to these ideas, and Barnard is seriously respected in BOTH alternative health and mainstream western medicine (and also founder of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) which is a pretty rare distinction.

More on the book: http://www.pcrm.org/news/health030529.html

(Of course, I'm still insanely attached to my morning cup of coffee, but then, I haven't tried letting it go. That's about all I have anymore, yet still, it makes me terribly afraid for the rest of the world to imagine myself without that one morning cup.)

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.