Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » male body hair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: male body hair
baachus
Neophyte
Member # 24841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baachus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've posted this in an admin only thread but I decided I could use even non-expert help, so please read my post;
I am a guy with a lot of body hair.
I really don't have too much of a problem with it but I have recently began shaving my legs and chest because I started working out and wanted to show off my new muscles. But my arms are still quite hairy. Okay so I might kind of have a problem (mental) with it, because it gets wavy and uncouth and I don't necessarily want to break out the comb whenever it looks unsightly.
I also suspect it probably does affect some of my relationships. Eventhough in most relationships I have been in, my interest will reassure me that my hairiness is tolerable, saying things like "I always thought it would be disgusting but your're furry like a teddy.."
I am thinking about shaving my arms and would like an observers input about it. I will give a little better description: the hair on the outside of my forearms is about 1 inch long and seems to grow in groups of three in most places (meaning 3 hairs grow from same place). My skin is visible but really it is quite thick. Would it be appalling if I shaved or is this something that maybe acceptable?

Posts: 5 | From: cedar falls, IA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's up to you whether you want to or not.

All I can say is.... wax it. You don't want shaving stubble all over your arms, do you? Plus the angles are gonna be impossible for an effective shave. Get it professionally seen to and get the waxer's professional advice on your hairiness situation.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OMega
Neophyte
Member # 24833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OMega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really is up to you whether or not to remove the hair. If you don't want it there (and it sounds like you don't) then I would have to agree with NobodySaidItWasEasy and say wax it.

And if you do decide to wax it, go to a salon... those cheap home waxing kits never seem to work right for me.

Posts: 12 | From: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't be the only person who appreciates some arm fuzz. Or chest fuzz. Or leg fuzz. Or a thick and curly happy trail.

But hey, if you really want to get rid of your body hair, get waxed. Shaving is difficult and stubble is itchy and unpleasant. Waxing is a bit more painful, but you can take it. and you only have to do it every 6 weeks or so.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceresbaistat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with bodily hair? If it's there naturally, then it's supposed to be there. Besides...it's manly...
Posts: 52 | From: Seabrook, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being an avid lover of manly body hair, I really don't understand why you'd want to shave it. =P But, hey, it's your hair, your decision. But I agree with what's already been said. Wax, wax, wax.

[This message has been edited by Rally (edited 08-14-2005).]

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kyrie
Neophyte
Member # 24872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kyrie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like most people have said, it is your choice whether or not you wish to get rid your body hair. I may be female, but I shave my arms and I don't get ingrown arm hairs, or irritating stubble. Actually, when I shave my arms the hair comes back thinner, though most people complain of it growing back thicker. I've never really had anything waxed, so I'm not sure which is better.

------------------
"We stand now where two roads diverge. But unlike the roads in Robert Frost's familiar poem, they are not equally fair. The road we have long been traveling is deceptively easy, a smooth superhighway on which we progress with great speed, but at its end lies disaster. The other fork of the road—the one "less traveled by"—offers our last, our only chance to reach a destination that assures the preservation of the earth."
— Rachel Carson

Posts: 5 | From: Massachusetts//U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr anonimous
Neophyte
Member # 25202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr anonimous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi. I have a similar problem. I had a mental problem with my body hair and so i started shaving my chest and legs. This has caused me irritation, thicker hair return and stubble on my body. I just want to return my body to how it originally was as i would like my natural look back. I was wondering wether waxing would return my body hair to how it was originally and wether it would get rid of the stubble.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shaving does not make the hair return thicker or darker, contrary to popular belief. It may look that way, but it doesn't.

I'd leave it alone. You have to allow the hair to grow back completely for it to return to it's natural state. It may take a little while, but eventually you'll see it.

As for the irritation, slap on some cortizone cream every once in a while for the itching and redness. It should help it subside.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Shaving does not make your hair grow back thicker. Shaving puts a blunt edge on your hair and makes it feel thicker. It cannot create new hair folicles. On the other hand, as an adolecent, you may still be developing new folicles as your hair reaches its genetically programmed thickness. Just leaving your hair alone for a while will eliminate the blunt stubble. (mind meld)

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 09-04-2005).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr anonimous
Neophyte
Member # 25202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr anonimous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for that info. I just read somewhere else that there is a cream called kalo that thins out hair and reduces it. But you have to wax before hand. Do you think this is a possible solution. I am already going through the laser treatment on my arms, but i do not want to have to do it for the rest of my body.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everton_fan
Neophyte
Member # 25315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Everton_fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't a lot of hair but it annoys me, especially when wearing football socks. Is it like facial shaving cause i don't wanna ask my sis

[This message has been edited by Everton_fan (edited 09-14-2005).]

Posts: 5 | From: Nowhere in particular(i.e. regional Australia) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.