Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Does being overweight really = irreg. bleeding?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does being overweight really = irreg. bleeding?
Glam
Activist
Member # 14117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who surgery a year and a half ago for a large ovarian cyst. In the past month or two she's been having a LOT of weird bleeding - heavy super-long periods, huge chunks and 'floods' that...well, flood out and then it's over, etc.
She hasn't had much luck with getting someone to check it out (problems with health insurance, no free clinics in the area) so I suggested she try the Planned Parenthood in her area. She did and unfortunately, got a gyn. who told her that her irregular bleeding was from being overweight, that's all. No ultrasounds to check for more cysts, no tests, none of that kind of thing. *sigh*

Is it true that being overweight can cause that kind of serious menstrual weirdness? Was what the gyn. did appropriate? Shouldn't the gyn. have treated her problem with a little more legitimacy, especially since she told the gyn. about the ovarian cyst? (She's now sworn off doctors, that was kind of the last straw, and that really worries me... :/)

Posts: 59 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I definitely think the doctor was out of line to not run any sort of tests in case your friend did have other problems causing the irregular bleeding, especially if she has had problems before, being overweight or underweight, especially by a substantial amount, can cause heavier, lighter, or more irregular bleeding.

Did your friend tell the doctor about her cyst trouble in the past?

I don't know what you'll be able to tell your friend if she's had this bad experience with doctors and feels like they won't help; but if there is any chance the Planned Parenthood clinic could refer another gyn, if they have another who helps out, and if she explains that she would like further tests done because she has had problems in the past, they may be willing to work with her more to find someone who will help her narrow down her problem or cross-off things that might be causing the problem before automatically assigning it to weight.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hot4nerds
Neophyte
Member # 19419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hot4nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another point might be if your friend is young (probably around the ball park of 16. Give or take a couple of years) and her period is a new thing, it takes a few years to balance itself out, or at least balance to the best it can.

If your friend had cysts in the past, going on hormonal birth control may be a good idea to help keep them in line to at least to try protect herself from getting more. And even if she hates doctors, it's would be a VERY Good Idea to protect herself.

Posts: 38 | From: Albany, Ny | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.