Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » thinking hard

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: thinking hard
thepunisher688
Neophyte
Member # 19182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thepunisher688     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
firstly, i am not a skinny kid. i am rather largly set. my last option for major weight loss was football, and coincidentally, the day i picked up sign up papers i had a doctors appointment. i notified him of this and he said that if i were to join, it would be overkill with the variables of my weight and blood pressure. since then, i have been thinking heavily of my own mortality. is it abnormal to be thinking so much about my own death? i still am slightly teen angsty, mood swings here, anger 'sessions's there, but i am a very happy kid. i play guitar, im obsessed with music, i believe in god. im a good person. i have tons of friends. i just feel that i am too young to die. i dont want to die. i am very scared of that. in reality i know i have time left, but i just dont want to die to early. again: is this normal at all to think about it so much? thank you
Posts: 15 | From: the Great Northwest | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HumanTornado
Activist
Member # 23519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HumanTornado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's pretty normal to go through a phase where you think about mortality. It's the kind of thing you know about in the back of your mind, but when something happens to really drive it home, you naturally start to ponder it.
For me that happened last year, when a girl I'd graduated with died in a car accident. Death was on my mind a lot for the following month or two, but then it passed.
So I'd say, relax. You're not obsessed, you're just trying to make sense of it.

Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think in a sense everyone thinks about it, some more than others, but thinking about one's own mortality is actually fairly common.

In the past year I've begun to try and follow a philosophy of living in the present; not that every day will be your last, but that every moment in the present needs to be noticed and remembered because all we have that's certain in life is what has happened and what is happening. It's also important to me to try and live like there will be a tomorrow, because no matter how bad things can be in the present, there is still another day to make them better.

What I mean with my philosophy is that you can't live based on the what-if-and-when. In some circumstances it is necissary ("I need to find a job now so I don't get kicked out of my apartment for not paying rent" or "I can't speed because if I get a ticket it goes on my record and my car insurance will go up..." rough examples, but you get the idea...)

I'm rambling here, bear with me, but what I guess it means to me is that I can't spend my life thinking, "What happens if I die?" everyone will die, that's the only sure thing in your future, but the fact is no one can really know when, and for people our age we can't really know how, either.

Luckily, for people who are younger, there is a way we can know we won't die young, or at least prevent it from happening some way that isn't an accident.

Car accidents and climbing accidents and things like this are all tragedies because they are accidents, in a lot of cases, even if small steps could have been done to stop them, in the long run they're not our fault.

Things like eating correctly, exercises, choosing to not drink or do drugs, these are things we can do to be sure we can continue living to see another day.

So if a doctor has brought this to your eyes, think about seeing him again. Maybe, if football would be the wrong thing for your body, you need to find something that will work, and doctors can work wonders with this. Not only can you get a referal to a nutritionist who can help you establish what sort of foods you should be eating to make you the healthiest and strongest, but also a doctor or someone he can refer you to can help you determine what type of exercise will be the best for your body and your lifestyle to help you become healthier.

If you don't want to die early? Make wise decisions now. There are some things that will take time and be frustrating and will be difficult to overcome, but in the long run if you can live a happier healthier life because you know there is no reason, aside from a complete accident, that you will die young.

Sorry this was somewhat long and possibly a bit nonsensical (it's late) but I hope it helped some.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, got really pre-occupied with death at one point. i was in fourth grade and became acutely aware of my own mortality, as well as that of others around me. it was tough time because i don't think 9-yr olds are equipped with the emotional maturity to handle that sort of heavy thinking.

but punisher, you mention you wanted to lose weight. your doctor has made it clear you're not healthy enough for football because of weight and blood pressure. did you ask your doctor for a safer means of weight reduction? your doctor sohuld be able to supply you with nutrition and exercise tips appropriate for your health conditions.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
windycityskacore
Activist
Member # 19031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for windycityskacore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Punnisher...

In regards to what has been said about your weight by GumdropGirl, I was thinking...I know your doctors say that you aren't healthy enough for football and I agree with Gumdrop Girl...there should be safer ways to lose weight and stay healthy...

Well, I know that this really ISN'T the solution, but I'd toss it out anyways: you say you play guitar and are obsessed with music...have you considered starting a band? Obviously playing music ISN'T a weight-loss method, but it IS an activity and CAN be a SORT of exercise...

I've been in many bands and, if you pour your heart into it, you'll walk off the stage feeling like you ran a mile and loved every second of it. I know I rarely left the stage without being red-faced, winded and sweating through my shirt.

Again...this isn't your solution but I thought I'd bring it up anyways. Being in a band is one of the best things I've ever done and I feel like it had SOME sort of role in keeping me in shape both physically and emotionally. Its work and takes devotion, paitence and perceverance, but it's worth it. I know music isn't the answer to everything, but sometimes I'd like to think so...:)

Posts: 49 | From: Chillinois, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thepunisher688
Neophyte
Member # 19182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thepunisher688     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know kids dont say this to you guys, *the sexperts, i mean* but you are all the coolest people. i really appreciate all of your help with me. i feel better about things. anyway, thank you again, please keep up the good work.
Posts: 15 | From: the Great Northwest | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guy420
Neophyte
Member # 23308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guy420     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont go on my word and correct me if im wrong... but maybe u should start out by just walking for 10-15 minutes every day around the block.. and then after 2 or so weeks.. increase the amount of time u go for these walks... or start jogging... this way gradually u'lll lose weight and ur heart rate will slowly increase. as long as u dont overexert urself u should be fine. then again.. dont take my word for it.. im just some random on the internet :P
Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.