Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Breakthrough Bleeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breakthrough Bleeding
sprinklez781
Neophyte
Member # 19881

Icon 5 posted      Profile for sprinklez781     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm ortho-cyclen, and taking only active pills for 3 months at a time, so I will only get my period 4 times a year. My doctor said to expect breakthrough bleeding the first month or so. So my first month immediatley starting a new pack without taking the sugar pills, I don't have any breakthrough bleeding at the time I would normally get my period. However, now (I'm almost done with the second pack of active pills) I'm bleeding. I've been bleeding lightly for about 8 days, (longer than my period -ever- lasts) just enough so I have to wear a pantiliner everyday, sometimes changing it once or twice. The blood's slightly different from period blood as well. I was just wondering if this type of bleeding was normal.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on Ortho Evra (the patch), and I never take it off. So I'd never have a periods anymore. I have been taking it continuously since September of 2004. I usually have about 10-12 days of break through bleeding in a row about every 35 days. This is normal for up to 6 months in. I called my GYN, and she said to keep going when I asked her about the break through bleeding. It's just my body's way of reacting to the hormones. It will take a while for your body to get used to the new hormone levels. Just like for all the girls out there that are looking for that period every month it takes years to get regular periods sometimes.

Remember that what you and I are doing is a VERY NEW idea. Not all people will accept it. It has been drilled into people that you NEED a period every month. Not even my pharmacist understands what I am doing. It is true that this kind of continuous birth control has not been thoroughly tested. But as for me, I never ever want any children so if I am unable to someday I can cope with that risk. Although, there is no proof that anything like that will or will not happen.

People usually don't like change, and this is likely to take a long time to be accepted in society.

But, like I said, you are experiencing just what I am BUT if it does last for more that 6 months call your GYN and tell them about your situation. If I have break though bleeding for more that 6 months I am going to call mine because it's just the smart thing to do. There are a lot of articles here about what you and I are doing.
http://www.noperiod.com

Hope this helps!

------------------
"That'll put some marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo!" - Buffybot

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Posts: 76 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just an FYI, CMT: concerns about suppressing menstruation with synthetic hormones are often about more than fertility.

I know there are a a myriad of reasons I'm not comfortable personally getting behind this for women yet -- maybe ever, and especially with women who haven't completed their sexual development -- and exactly none of them are about fertility, nor about an unwillingness to accept changes in reproductive or contraceptive technology.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 3 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz Scarlet, and anyone else

Why does continual birth control worry you? And about your last post, I have read it three times and I don't understand what you mean. I got the part where you said it's not just about fertility issues. What other issues could there be? Just because some women are doing something different, does that mean we need to be dragged down, by others that disagree with it?

Please elaborate, I am interested to know others opinions.

Thank You.

------------------

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Posts: 76 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got the part where you said it's not just about fertility issues. What other issues could there be?

Health, for one. You're adding a large quantity of hormones to your body, much more than standard use of birth control does, and the long-term safety of that has not been evaluated at all.

With other forms of continuous hormone treatment, such as HRT, there have been concerns that they may raise the risk of strokes and certain cancers.

Nobody's trying to "drag you down" here - just to point out that there are some long-term health issues that have not been evaluated yet.

So saying that people who are wary are just afraid of new ideas does them a disservice.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To speak for myself, even though Logic summed it up pretty well, I'm not looking to "drag anyone down" with not endorsing this yet anymore than I'm not looking to drag anyone down by not having ever endorsed, say, the Atkins Diet, even BEFORE studies started finally coming out showing its dangers and when plenty of doctors would have supported it.

What I do as a sexuality educator is my level best to help everyone make the soundest, safest decisions they could, based on the information available to us. I have both personal responsibility and accountability in that regard I take really seriously. And per menstrual suppression, especially long-term, and especially for adolescents, I just don't have enough of it to get behind it. heck, I'm still a little wary about adolescents being on hormonal birth control at all, as directed, since I'm still yet to find any big studies on long-term effects of THAT specific to adolescent women.

And yes, it's about health and well-being: about concerns about normal development, about things like endometriosis and cardiovascular health, about certain reproductive cancers. From a feminist and social perspective, I have concerns too: I worry that this may be being rushed to because of a continued approach to women's reproductive systems as messy and in need of control and cleanup. Bear in mind that plenty of doctors recomended douching for a LONG time. Some still do, even though we now have the info to know it's generally NOT in the interest of women's health, but was about warped ideas about women being unclean.

The biggest argument FOR suppression is often that women were healthier way, way back when when they were pregnant and birthing and nursing more often and thus, menstruating less. But since those women not only had much shorter lifespans, and we actually don't have good records about women's reproductive health going back very far to really have any idea how healthy they were or were not AND because those women were not menstruating due to pregnancy, not because of synthetic hormones, I think conclusions may be being leapt to here that aren't sound.

But I don't think that by simply saying I am not ready to endorse it (and bear in mind that around 10,000 people a day, just at this aite read what I have to say, so darn tootin' I'm going to be cautious about what I endorse), and being cautious about doing so, waiting until I have adequate information to really form an informed opinion, that I am dragging anyone down, and I'm certainly not standing in the way of anyone choosing to do this.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 3 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(From http://www.noperiod.com Dr. Lesile Miller the leading expert on suppressing the menstrual cycle)

"QUESTION: Is it safe to skip your period on the pill?

ANSWER: Current low dose birth control pills are very safe for most women. It is very unlikely skipping the period or the pill free week would change the safety of the pill. Birth control pills have been used by millions of women over the past 40 years. [b]The first birth control pills contained about 10,000 mcg of progestin and 150 mcg of estrogen. The pills being recommended for every day or continuous use have only 100 mcg of progestin and 20 mcg of estrogen. This is a huge drop in the dose needed for the pill to work. [b] Taking the pill every day should be no different than taking them for only 3 weeks with one week off. The effects of the pill do not totally wear off in that week anyway.

Taking the pill every day should not make the hormone levels build up any more than when you take them for only 3 weeks. However, you will be getting one more week of estrogen which could increase the overall estrogen effects and this is the reason to use only the lowest estrogen dose (20 mcg) for continuous or daily use. There are published papers about skipping periods and so far there have not been any safety problems. As a matter of fact it is possible the pill could work better to prevent pregnancy if it is taken every day instead of taking a week off each month."

END QUOTEING

I am not trying to make anyone endorse what I am doing, but what I am doing is trying to support why I am doing this. I totally understand that you, Miz Scarlet, and the moderators cannot endorse anything that might be harmful to anyone. This is just why I feel that what I am doing is okay, and if something happens I am prepared to deal with the out come whether it be good or bad.

------------------

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I'd offer some of the opinions of other doctors who aren't so sure yet about Seasonale and other methods of period suppression:
http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/news/index.asp?id=106203&D=9&M=12&Y=2003
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/71/81215.htm

Most literature about suppression of menstruation preach caution. Few studies have been conducted on it, and long term studies have yet to be released because it is too new.

Doctors are on all sides of this issue. You can support your reason with a doctor's statements, but both sides can be supported this way.

If you're involved with a test concerning continous birth control, good for you! Many women may be helped by you. It's your own choice to practice this or not, but practice caution.

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.