Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Spotting between periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spotting between periods
satineladiamant
Neophyte
Member # 20925

Icon 8 posted      Profile for satineladiamant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For eight days now, I've been spotting. I'm bang smack in the middle of my cycle and not showing any signs of PMS. It's not heavy, just enough to be really annoying, and every time I've thought it's exhausted itself it comes back. I'm sixteen, started my periods just under five years ago, not yet sexually active or on the pill. Is this normal in someone of my age?
I want to try to forgo having anything checked out since I understand I'm likely to be asked for a blood sample and due to a moderate-to-severe anxiety disorder entailing needles of any sort I'd really rather try to go without. How long should I put up with it before I start getting worried?
Oh, what fun it is being a girl *she says with a completely stony face*.
Thank you very much...I hope someone can help...
-Satine

------------------

Posts: 4 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrelk
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 

[ 07-10-2006, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: wrelk ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that uncommon for a womans periods to be a bit irregular for the first few years.

Because you've been menstruating for a few years, and this spotting has been going on for a few days now (and hasn't stopped?), i'd suggest seeing your doctor about it.

There's nothing saying your doctor WILL want bloodwork. There's always a chance ... This'll help your doctor figure out what's going on with your homrones and what can be done to help it.

I know a lot of people who have issues with needles ... I've had a lot of patients (i'm a nursing student!) who have issues with needles. A few suggestions ... Take a friend with you. Have the friend sit on the opposide side the tech/nurse is working with and focus on him/her only. You can request a sort of numbing cream (It's called EMLA cream here) as well. It's applied 30mins ahead of time, and apparently it works like a charm. And don't forget to breath!! Tensing up makes it much worse and i can guarantee that you passing out from lack of oxygen is not going to help matters

Please don't let your fear of needles keep you from receiving medical attention. Doctors and nurses deal with this all the time ... (And of course, there's still no guarantee s/he'll want bloodwork anyway)

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 11-21-2004).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Smurfy? I know this is a bit off topic here, but do you have any suggestions to keep me from passing out or nearly doing so when I have my blood drawn? I've tried sitting, laying down, and downing sugary juices and not-so-sugary juices aftwards, but I am still out of it and unable to do much for about an hour or two afterwards. I don't like it! How can I make it go away?
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's normal to feel a little 'out of it' for a bit after having bloodwork done.

If you can eat before you have blood taken (it depends on the test ... Ask your nurse/doctor/tech before hand ... If you eat and then go for a test that required you to fast, you'll have to reschedule!), defineatly do so. Have you tried lying down while having your blood taken? Get yourself comfy, let them take the blood, and then rest for a few minutes. Sit up, and rest some more. Give yourself as much time as you need ... They're not going to hurry you out if they think you're goin' down

For some people, this is just the way it is, and you have to work around it. If this is how your body reacts to bloodwork, that's fine, just make sure you tell the nurse/tech that is taking your blood, and make sure you're not going to be doing anything that requires more attention than you have to spare (like driving)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
another thing that i have learned (last year, i had to have blood taken quite regularly as i was being treated for thyroid trouble), is to make sure you are well hydrated before your appointment. though having blood work done will probably always be an uncomfortable experience for me, i had a pretty good grip on it after the first several times. however, on one occasion the nurse had a really difficult time finding the vein (i have small veins but usually no problems there). she had to poke me a few times and once she found it, i just passed completely out. it was the weirdest thing. when i came too, i felt so woozy and dizzy and unfortunately, i threw up. not fun.

the nurse asked if i had any water before i came, which i didn't. though it was a fasting test, she said it was important to drink some water before so that it is easier to find the vein.

this is just a tip that has helped me. also, you never know when they might ask for a urine sample and it really sucks when you don't have to go and they threaten you with a catheter (happened to me in the hospital once... ouch!)

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.