Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Prescription-aly Fat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prescription-aly Fat?
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 9 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scarleteen!

I have been very sad about the way I look. Well, kind of... You see I am 19 years old, I am almost 5'6" and I weigh 170lbs. I have been on Paxil for my anxiety for a couple of years now. Before I started taking Paxil I was 130lbs but, I was always having anxiety attacks and afraid to go outside, (Agoraphobia.) I did use to do marching band when I was in school so that was my exercise. Now I have graduated (2003) and I hate exercise.

I went to my doctor who prescribed the Paxil last March, and I told him about my weight concerns. I was 155lbs at the time. He told me, "Lose five pounds, and keep a lid on it." Well, thanks for the great advice. It didn't help me. I have learned that a side effect of Paxil is weight gain. It makes fat cells expand.

I have tired to eat better, and that did work for a while when I was on vactaion, but when I got back home I gained the 15lbs I lost back. I have tried to exercise, but it makes me feel sick and I really don't have the motivation.

Now I am engaged (one month, been together for over 2 years), I have a wonderful fiancé who says I am perfect. He is 18, 5'8" and 140lbs! I feel like a 18 wheeler standing next to him! But, I have noticed that when I go out I get way more looks from guys now than when I was 130lbs. When I was 130lbs I though I had fat thighs!

All in all I feel like if I have my Paxil holding me back somewhat, how am I going to get to a healthy weight? What is a healthy weight? How can I get motivated? I am a very picky eater, and when I don't eat, or opt. for a slim fast, I get very agitated and am not a fun to be around.

The skinny women on television doesn't help either. You see, by no fault of her own Buffy (yes, the vampire slayer) is my hero. She always follows her heart and never leaves a human or vampire with a soul behind. She is a wonderful character. I have read she (Sarah Michelle Geller) is 5'3" 96lbs. I know 96lbs is not a safe weight for me. I have the complex I guess, the character Buffy has such an interesting life, even without the super natural part. I, on the other hand, don't. I want to be able to run without getting short winded. And fit into my size 8 pants again. But is it even possible?

I do not want to go back to the way I was before without Paxil. I'd rather be 200lbs before I go through that serious degree of anxiety and fear again. I just feel hopeless sometimes. To eat or not to eat? To feel full and satisfied or starved and thiner? I just want to be healthy and happy with myself, and getting bigger and being this big is not making me happy.

Sorry I wrote so much. Thanks for anyones help, I appreciate it greatly.

Posts: 76 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spinnersis
Neophyte
Member # 18568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinnersis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a medical background, but speaking as someone who is about the same size as you, you sound like you're a healthy size. I'm 5'8" and my weight generally wavers between 185 and 205 (I tend to gain weight in the summer, then loose back at school where the food is crappy). I've never been much of an excerciser either, they trained that out of me in gym in elementary school. I wouldn't worry about it at all, it sounds like your weight is proportional to your height, which (I my humble opinion) is always much more attractive than seeing someone's ribs and collar bones sticking out of their skin. I do sometimes worry about my health just from the standpoint of lack of activity though, so if there's something active that you like to do (taking walks, bike rides, ect...), do it but don't go into it trying to loose weight. Do it to get blood circulating (I say as I sit in front of my computer). You might burn fat and build muscle (which is actually heavier) or there might not be a visible difference at all, but it still feels good.

Also something to consider, the stress from your anxiety attacks is probably what kept your weight down before. The Paxil is probably allowing you to gain weight more normally than before, rather than causing excess weight gain. (Again, this is speculation on my part if I'm wrong, I'd appreciate it if someone with a medical background would correct me).

As much as we all love Buffy (and we do ) we taller gals can't forget that she's much shorter than we are (so she should weight less) and she's pretty ridiculously skinny on top of that. As they say, into each generation a slayer is born (or something like that) and that's about how frequently people who look like that really do come along. I doubt that 96 lbs is a healthy weight for her either. So yeah, we can't all look like the slayer, but on the up side, we get to eat regular meals. Carrying sharp stakes around like that is dangerous anyway.

[This message has been edited by spinnersis (edited 11-04-2004).]

Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet is always going to be eating right and exercising. When you cut way down on your caloric intake, your body is starved for nutrients, and doesn't know when it's going to get said nutrients, so it tends to store more fat than it would if you were eating properly. Print out a food pyramid, and try to stick to it. Read your labels, and just plain don't buy foods that aren't good for you. If you live with your parents, tell them you're interested in toning up and getting healthy, and I can almost guarantee they'll help you keep a healthy diet.

Don't like exercise? Try to find something that keeps your body in motion that you enjoy. Personally, I exercise by playing an hour or two of DDR every couple of days.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you'd be surprised how much more exercise you can get in a day by parking a little farther from where you're going, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or doing the housework a little more often than you already do (vacuuming or hoovering about the house can burn 320 calories per hour).

As for hating exercise, okay, so maybe running laps ain't for you. but what about nice long walks in the park? dance lessons with the fiance? swimming? playing a team sport? it sounds to me you need exercise far more than you need to diet or the reasons Aria gave above.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrsty4chikin
Neophyte
Member # 20679

Icon 12 posted      Profile for thrsty4chikin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im not an expert on this but i do no my bit. and i no its hard to exercise and eat right with all the mixed messeges the media sends. i mean in a magazine on one page they show a beautiful women (perhaps even buffy) and tips on how to look just like her. then on the next page it shows a deleriously good looking chocolate cake that makes you drool.
but the thing is if every one looked like the pretty girl from seventeen magazine. life would be really dull. iluv buffy the vampire to, smg is my idol. but imagine if buffy and willow were exactly the same dress size, or bra size, or sumthin else. life needs different people of all shapes and sizes.
one of my best friends wieghs 250lb.but i never seem to notice. and neither does any one else when were together(i way 95, im 13). its just because of the way she displays herself. its almost like she glows. its just cuz she knows that even though shes not perfect (and no one is) she knows shes absolutely beutiful. you just have to have confidence in your self, hold your chin up, if you glow inside youll glow outside too.
but,however, it seems to me you have more important things to worry about than how big your thighs are. i mean you have a guy who loves you so much that he will MARRY YOU! and its obviouse that he will love you even if you become a baboon. i think you owe it to him to stop concentrating on your self image and start concentrating on your wedding to the lucky guy you love.

Posts: 5 | From: madison,wisconsin,america | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, pretty much the top thing ALWAYS suggested for those who suffer from depression or anxiety is exercise, no matter WHAT a person wieghs.

Exercise is MAJOR, HUGE major, when it comes to changing your body chemistry and brining naturally mood-enhancing hormones which you need into your system.

And -- not to surprsingly -- it's easy to hate exercise when you're doing it for the wrong reasons, or simply to lose weight. When you do something you enjoy, when you're digging the movement and what it's doing for how you FEEL, it can make a really big difference. And it's WAY more helpful when it comes to weight loss, if you do need to lose wieght for your health, than dieting. Ditch the SlimFast. Honestly, it's mass-marketed crap, and full of dairy and sugars, anyway, which isn't likely to be helpful. Grab something better for you and more substantial instead, like a bag of baby carrots and some (not fatty) bean dip or an apple or some peanut butter on whole grain bread.

FYI? I'm a Buffy geek. To the point that it's embrassing. That given, did you know that SMG's stuntwomen had to keep getting tinier and tinier, to the point that finding a woman THAT small who could actually DO the moves in the stunts became nearly impossible? Her fitness and health most likely are NOT something you'll want to idolize.

So, per movement, what do you LIKE to do? Swimming? Walking? Biking (which is awesome exercise, and great transportation that helps the environment, to boot!)? Dancing (maybe swing classes with your fiancee?)? What haven't you tried yet? Boxing (yes, as a boxer I'm biased.)? Aerobic yoga? Pilates?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You all I really appreciate it. Also, I never knew there were as many Buffy fanatics as me! But really thanks for all the advice! I have started to exercise and eat ..... veggies over chocolate! Thanks a lot!

Buffy & Spike Forever
Our Guilty Pleasure

------------------
"That'll put some marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo!" - Buffybot

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Posts: 76 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.