Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Self-concious

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Self-concious
xEternallyb0undx
Neophyte
Member # 20483

Icon 9 posted      Profile for xEternallyb0undx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if I'm weird or like.. anerexic or have some kind of disorder. I constantly feel self concious about my body and the way people see me.My friends tell me I'm gorgeous but I see something different when I look in the mirror. It's weird. I try to not eat anything that would cause me to get overweight, and I feel terrible about my self-image.. Is there anything that would really cause me to feel this way..
Posts: 6 | From: Boynton Beach, Fl, United States | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it may sound cliche:

- Look in the mirror less.
- Eat what you enjoy, so long as it isn't absolute crap 24/7.
- Do something of value with your life regularly that doesn't have boo to do with appearance: volunteer at a head Start, homeless shelter, rape counseling hotline (hey, this month, get people over 18 to VOTE), what have you.

That may all sound beside the point, but it really isn't. We presently live in an appearance-obsessed culture and it's often exteremely helpful to to take that into our own lives.

As well, pretty much EVERYONE at some point during puberty feels self-conscious, and time does usually take care of a lot of it so long as you don't feed it yourself with extra obsessing.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

Why you should VOTE (or, why I finally tell you how to wax your Bush.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xEternallyb0undx
Neophyte
Member # 20483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xEternallyb0undx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for your reply scarlet! I appreciate it

Posts: 6 | From: Boynton Beach, Fl, United States | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem.

I think it's pretty easy to forget that while appearance can seem really, really important, I don't imagine many of us, when our lives are over, would want all that could be said about us on our tombstones to be "She sure didn't do much with her life, but boy, did she look great!"

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blink
Activist
Member # 18892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to feel really self-conscious about my looks and my body, but now I'm totally in love with it! (Most of the time, anyway.)

Two of the things that helped me most were:

1) Like Miz Scarlet said, getting involved in an extracurricular. I started a Feminist Club at my school, and it was a lot of fun, plus I felt really good about myself for starting a club.

2) Whenever you look in the mirror, don't leave it without thinking something positive about yourself. It could be anything... if you really feel like you can't find anything about your appearance to like, think about something you can do well, or something good you did. Or it could be something small about your looks--eyelashes, eyes, etc. Just never leave a mirror without thinking at least one positive thing about yourself.

Also, becoming more educated about the fashion and beauty industry helped me feel more secure about my looks. I might not look like a supermodel, but I don't diet obsessively, spend lots of money and time on makeup and doing my hair, and I don't get airbrushed after all that, either. Why should I buy into some ridiculous scheme to make me feel bad about how I look just so they can make money by getting me to buy all kinds of junk to fix "problems" with my looks that aren't even really problems?

I've never met you, but I'm sure you're gorgeous. Every person is, and every person has the right to feel like they are, too.

Posts: 106 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smilee_kylie
Activist
Member # 20046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilee_kylie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the exact description of the majority of teenage girls today. So you are not alone. I was on the verge of anorexia and even though my family, friends and doctor told me to put weight on I ignored it because, like you, I saw something different in the mirror. But as said before, I good thing to do is focus on the good things about yourself. I realised I was only harming myself and stopped comparing myselves to the twig-like celebrities I was striving to be. I began feeling really good about myself and I got tonnes of compliments with people telling me how radiant and healthy I looked after I put a bit more weight on. These days I am still not totally happy but some of my friends still reckon I'm too skinny. Plus my boyfriend constantly tells me how beautiful I am. Listen to your family and friends and not your mirror. Besides, they see you for what you really look like. The mirror just deceives.
Posts: 58 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrsty4chikin
Neophyte
Member # 20679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thrsty4chikin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Editor's note: no need to quote entire posts of other people; if you need to, just a part of their comments, plus your own comments are fine, thank you.

[This message has been edited by wobblyheadedjane (edited 11-05-2004).]

Posts: 5 | From: madison,wisconsin,america | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.