Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » birth control pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control pills
babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

Icon 5 posted      Profile for babygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i get my period very irregulary. i am not sexually active, i excercise a lot, and i've often questioned whether or not i consume enough iron in my diet, especially since i never eat red meat. but anyways my normal health care provider prescribed me to use birth control pills. what's so good about getting your period more often than you normally would? i'm kind of scared about this; i just don't like to mess with my body. but my stepmom keeps saying it's important to get your period so you don't get osteoperosis. i'm supposed to start taking them today, but i'm really hesitant... can they be bad for you?
Thanks!

------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

Posts: 150 | From: !USA! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you've got some flawed logic happening there.

When on the combined pill, you don't get a period at all: you get a withdrawal bleed, called that because your body is withdrawing from the hormones. So, the idea that the pill can regulate a period is false: it makes monthly bleeding regular, but it in no way alters the health and regularity of your real cycle, since the pill suppresses ovulation altogether. So, that would also make no difference with osteoporosis: in fact, some studies have started to show that the pill may cause some bone loss in young women, so it may do the opposite.

So, you're right: in this instance, there really is no benefit to you bleeding more often, because that bleed isn't your period.

Your better bet would be to look at your health overall: if you suspect you are overexercising and/or undereating, for your WHOLE health, you need to deal with that, and THAT is going to cause problems with bone loss, with metabolism, with your reproductive system, the whole enchilada, that taking the pill can't fix.

(Getting enough iron may be a side issue on top of those things: if it is, you don't have to eat meat to get it: leafy greens -- spinach, kale, broccoli -- are even richer in iron and your body needs them anyhow.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

Icon 9 posted      Profile for babygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks a whole lot for this useful information. i suspected that birth control couldn't override the actual cause of naturally irregular periods. however, i guess i have a little problem here: i decided to start taking the pill today. really though, your post just confirmed my beliefs that it won't really be of benefit to me. my stepmom is EXTREMELY set in her views that if i don't do something to get my period regularly, i'll get osteoperosis. she's been on birth control pills for 20 years (since she was 18) and says her bones are fine, therefore i should take them too. she also started telling me that i have amennorhea- however, i thought that implies a condition where periods are absent altogether. neither she nor my health care provider supplied me with reasons i agreed with. in fact, my doctor didn't tell me anything at all- she didn't have even a guess as to why it is i may not be getting my periods, and simply told me i need to get a period every month. for lack of restating the same thing over and over, i'm going to end this post shortly! if i were sexually active, MAYBE i would consider sticking with birth control, but i guess it's kind of too late to even claim that i'm not on birth control since i took the first pill this morning. i guess i just kind of gave in huh. aw man...

------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

Posts: 150 | From: !USA! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you're certainly welcome to direct your stepmother here if you like, or a few simple google searches which explain how the pill works, what it actually does, and what risks it might pose to youth might do the trick if you do not WANT to take the pill.

Sounds like you could use a better doctor. if she didn't even suggest looking into the WHY of your absent periods, you have one who isn't doing her job properly.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks again...
now that i've already started using the pill, though, is there a way for me to get off it?

------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

Heather
Member # 3

Of course. No one is required to take the pill for any amount of time (and speaking of which, 20 years is an AWFULLY long time to be on it: your stepmom may need a new doc herself -- she's also, at a mere 38, in no real position to know how her bone density may be 20 or 30 years from now when it counts, and going on at 18 isn't the same as going on as a younger adolescent).

Whenever you want to go off, you can, even should you decide you want to be on the pill yourself, now, or at a later time in your life.

babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

Icon 11 posted      Profile for babygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've been trying to reach my doctor all day, without success... i'd like to speak with her on the matter, but most importantly, i don't know whether i should take my birth control pill today. i took the first yesterday, intending to start with the whole swing of things, but then i changed my mind... after just the first pill, is it safe to stop?? please respond if you know, this is very important! i don't want to mess with my body.

------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, it is fine to just stop. you might experience a little spotting, but it's not going to hurt you. the pill doesn't fully take effect until you have gone through one full cycle (1 pack) of it. 1 pill isn't going to be a problem.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.