Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » self peircing? bad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: self peircing? bad?
lttlblackcat
Neophyte
Member # 19205

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lttlblackcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

one of my freinds peirced her own belly button with a sewing pin. I don't have mine periced so i wouldn't know, but is that bad 4 you? I'd like to know so i can tell her just to get hers professionally done or see a doctor.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

------------------
~*angie~*

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want your piercing to get infected, painful, and likely unusable, that's the route to go. Your friend's going to have to keep her piercing really clean, and if she's lucky enough to have it work out (and it probably won't), she should consider herself lucky, and not push that luck again.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

You who're so good with words
And at keeping things vague

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plumerias
Neophyte
Member # 19214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plumerias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Self-piercing probably isn't the best idea. About 5 months ago, I gave myself double piercings on both ears with a sewing needle, which I burned for sterility. It didn't hurt too bad, it just felt like someone was pinching really hard. So for about a day, my ears were red and felt like they were burning. It was pretty painful, worse than the actual piercing. By the third day, I developed terrible infections in both piercings. Excuse me for being graphic, but green pus came out and there were extremely irritated. So I took the piercings out and cleaned them with alcohol, then applied some Neosporin. Two days later, I got my post edited for promoting something that's just not safe.

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 07-27-2004).]

Posts: 13 | From: San Diego | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
plumerias, I know you're trying to be helpful, but self-piercing can go wrong (as you know) more often than it can go well, so the best bet for people is to go to a reputable piercer.
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plumerias
Neophyte
Member # 19214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plumerias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't trying to encourage self-piercing, as I make clear in my first sentence: "Self-piercing probably isn't the best idea." I also thought I gave a pretty graphic description of the infection that took place when I did pierce my own ears. At the end I did make a point though that it's her choice if she wants to go through with it, since it's her body. Just trying to be objective, not encouraging self-piercing.
Posts: 13 | From: San Diego | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Belly button piercings are glorified surface piercings, which are the the most notoriously hard piercings to heal. With the amount of action that goes about, twisting and bending and what not around your navel, it's not a good idea to pierce it yourself. Problems like bad placement, which makes the already high risk of rejection, dull needles, too small a guage to pierce with, and the whole problem of sterilization come to mind when you mention self piercing your belly button.

And I'm not spewing off some random story, because I've tried to pierce mine. The skin on your belly is not like the skin on your ears, its thicker and really hurts to pierce. Without clamps and an appropriate needle, piercing becomes even more dangerous. Can you imagine how uncomfortable it is to push a needle through every layer of skin on you belly button freehand? It's a [pain]. And, you really should feel the multiple layers of skin with this piercing, otherwise it's not deep enough.

While I do find some self piercing okay...which is not something I should be admitting, this is one I would never, ever recommend. Wait til you can get it done by a pro, it will be well worth it!

Edited for language filters.

[This message has been edited by wobblyheadedjane (edited 07-29-2004).]

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.