Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Body signals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Body signals
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 6 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thinking how gosh darn cool it is that we get little signals from our bodies letting us know things. Particularly in relation to getting our periods (ladies, of course). I could always tell that my period was going to start very soon when I felt a weird sort of feeling in the pit of my stomach. Not quite that salsa-didn't-agree-with-me feeling, but almost. It wouldn't last very long, but I would know what to expect. I don't get that now that I'm on the pill. Now I just know what day of the week. Or if I'm not eating right, I'll get these giant cravings for fruits and vegetables. It's neat, really, how these things happen.

So. What sorts of signals do you get from your body? How do you know if you're going to get your period, or do you not have any signals? Does your body tell you when it needs something?

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nmcowgirl87
Activist
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nmcowgirl87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh gosh. I used to get all sorts of signals from my body. I was taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen, and I would get my period the day before my first inactive pill every month. A couple hours before it would start I would get these really light cramps. I switched to Ovcon 35 recently, and it's been a hard adjustment. I spot very irregularly, and I'm starting to feel like my body is fighting my reproductive system tooth and nail. My doctor says that should go away soon, though.

I'm a recovering anorexic (YAY!!! I actually said it!) and I'm just starting to get that "I really need to eat NOW" feeling again. Before, saying "I'm hungry" or acknowledging that feeling at all was off limits for me. It's cool to feel like I'm not at war with every piece of food on the planet. I was out of town over the weekend in Ruidoso, and we shopped all day. I forgot to eat breakfast (I do that if I'm not careful) and around noon my stomach actually growled! I know, to everyone else that's probably no big deal, but for me it was huge.

I'm taking some pain medication right now, so it's a little harder for me to tell how hard I can push myself. I used to be able to tell when I had been riding for too long because I would get a really mild headache for just a couple minutes. If I keep pushing it past that point and don't get any sleep I seriously regret it the next day. I barely have enough energy to climb out of bed! It's kinda like my body says "I can do this much today - don't push that line girl!" But since I've been hurt and on medication, it feels like that line moves a lot. One day I'm fine riding hard and working, the next I can't even sit up I'm so tired. It's really frustrating, because I feel like I cant "read" my body anymore. It's starting to get a little better, but slowly, lol.

XOXOX,
Tab

------------------
Ride it like you stole it!

Posts: 64 | From: Carlsbad, NM USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nmcowgirl87:
I'm a recovering anorexic

And yay for your for working to recover!

On topic now. When I ski I tend to want to keep going regardless of temperature. After a certain point my body makes it very clear that I am going inside to warm up before I do too much more.

Probably a good thing because frostbite really isn't a pleasant experience.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CorsetFetish
Activist
Member # 14592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CorsetFetish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NMCowgirl-
Me and you seem to have something in common! I'm a recovering anorexic as well, and I was FLOORED when I realized what it was like to be really hungry- and then EAT something. It's like, "Holy crap! Why didn't anyone tell me this?!"

I'm also a horseback rider. I assume you ride western?

Hope to see you around!
Cool thread, by the way!

~Corset~

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nmcowgirl87
Activist
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nmcowgirl87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I ride western, but I teach cross country jumping too. It is sooooo cool to finally hear your body say something and be able to understand and respond! I mean, you wouldn't think that feeling hungry and recognizing it as a feeling that you need to satisfy instead of ignore would be such a big deal. One you go through that though, it's huge!

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery, from one former ana to another!

Ya, awesome thread!

XOXOX,
Tab

------------------
Ride it like you stole it!

Posts: 64 | From: Carlsbad, NM USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.