Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hair coloring woes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hair coloring woes
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So I got my hair colored today. Blue. All of it, and it goes down to at least the middle of my back. I've never done this before at all. Now the stuff they used is semi-permanent, and he said that I could wash it if I wanted it a bit lighter. Which I kind of do.

But I just stepped in the shower and as soon as my hair was wet, color was streaming down my body. Can some one reassure me that it won't all just run out? That it's okay for it to run at first, and maybe it won't keep doing that? Thanks all, whatever the answer is.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BiLLaBaBy017
Activist
Member # 6514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BiLLaBaBy017     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will not all just "run out." The next time you take a shower, don't freak if you see the blue, it is normal for some of it to come out. Since it is semi permanent, it will come out anyways, usually up to 24 shampoos. I have dyed my hair all colors of the rainbow, and I was told that the reason it runs the first few shampoos is because when you rinse out the haircolor and apply the conditioning cream, then rinse that out you don't get all of the color out. So, rest assured that you won't lose all the blue

------------------
--B--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is mystery
Today is a gift

[This message has been edited by BiLLaBaBy017 (edited 05-19-2004).]

Posts: 294 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phew. Yeah, I figured I was probably over reacting, but it kinda freaked me out. I know that there's all this dye on my scalp, not even in my hair, that needs to come off, but still.... I needed to hear from someone who'd done it before.

Thanks.

------------------

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ppppbbbltt!

I dyed my hair blue before. twice. Blue is by far the WORST color to do. Why? because it washes out so damn fast!!! First time I dyed it blue, my hair wasn't bleached enough, so the blue lastes a whopping 4 days before it faded and started to look this nasty grey color. yuck! the other time I dyed it blue, it just faded after less than 2 weeks, and it looked patchy and awful.

Yes, green and purple faded, too, but they held up better. And when they did fade, they still looked good. My hair went from kelly green to minty green. The purple turned to fuschia to pink after two months. TWO MONTHS!

anyway, yes, the first few washes, expect a lot of it to rinse out. Most of it will hold up if you don't lather it too aggressively. But yeah, anticipate fading. Dyeing your hair odd colors requires a lot of maintenance. But fret not because you can always touch it up.

------------------
Q ... E ... D ... bee-yatch!
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

The dye I used (special effects blue velvet)tends to fade nicely, according to the people I talked to. To a sort of cornflower or silvery color, which at least isn't green.

I'm dealing with the whole washing out thing pretty well, but still trying to get all the blue off of my neck. My hair is pretty long, so it tends to sit on my neck, and rub off. Windex seems to help a bit, but there's a way to go before I wear my hair up again.

------------------

Hannah1313
Neophyte
Member # 31267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hannah1313     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooo i dyed my hair blue once and i didn't bleach it enough either...and it went away REALY FAST but anyway i dyed my bangs white and i left it in for A REALLY long time and then it like started falling out and now im worried its going to ALL FALL OUT!! i need HELP!!! someone reassure me that it won't fall out! thanks

--------------------
"I am the face in the mirror. Only not."

Posts: 7 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard the whole thing that if you dye your hair too much, it'll all fall out. Let me tell you -- it's just not true. Yes, your hair is more likely to become brittle and you'll have some breakage, but you're not really going to go bald.

If you leave a bleach or color stripper in too long (which is all white really is, aside from some toner), your hair WILL get fried and start to fall out a little.

Relax,though. Get some good conditioner, baby your hair for a while, and it'll be okay.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.