Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Bigger Hips

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bigger Hips
curious-alex
Neophyte
Member # 17815

Icon 5 posted      Profile for curious-alex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everybody

Alex stands for Alexia, just to let you know that I'm a female. Okay, I've always wanted wider hips. I'm an over-all confident person, so it's not exactly confidence that I'm looking for, it's improvement. I've heard that gaining weight will make your hips bigger, but I'm not exactly sure how that works? Is this true? Gaining weight in my case would be okay, because I am very skinny, but I don't want to work at it unless it's going to get me somewhere. If gaining weight can WIDEN my hips, is there any "healthy" way to go about it? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

*curious-alex

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When people gain weight, it distributes on your body in diferent ways. Some people's hips get padded, others thicken in the belly, and some people's thighs get it. It depends on your genetics.

As for hips, how old are you? if you're under 15, you're definitely still growing in the hips. It's normal for the pelvis to broaden during puberty. The broadening facilitates childbirth; women with narrow-pelvises may have more trouble giving birth.

------------------
Q ... E ... D ... bee-yatch!
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the odds are in your favor, since most women do gain weight on their hips during puberty. However, this isn't always the case because of, you guessed it, genetics. Take a look at your female relatives - do they have a tendency to gain weight on the hips, or somewhere else?

The more important issue is, who said having bigger hips was an "improvement?" It's just how your body is naturally, and making changes to it in order to "make it even better" in someone else's opinion isn't always feasible. For example: I've always wanted bigger boobs - I'm a confident person, but it would be an "improvement." But what kind of improvement? Just cause I have small breasts doesn't mean they need improvement. And just because you don't have J. Lo curves doesn't mean you need improvement either. Everyone is beautiful in their own way - I say this in extreme honesty. Just something to think about....

Posts: 218 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curious-alex
Neophyte
Member # 17815

Icon 4 posted      Profile for curious-alex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there everybody, well to answer the question. I'm 17, so I don't really have any chances of hips widening during puberty. I know everyone is beautiful in there own way, and I'm confident, it's just something that I would like to try for. So I guess gaining weight is my only hope. Well wish my luck. Oh yeah, and for my other question, is there any way to do that "healthily?"
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, oftentimes it's worthwhile to recognize that there may be certain body types or configurations of parts which we admire and like the look of, but they aren't how things are on OUR bodies.

We can still appreciate them on others all we'd like, but it tends to serve all of us best to also learn to appreciate our own bodies, not just how they appear, but also how they function, who and where we inherited all that we are from, the works.

I like the look of long, strong limbs on women, but I'm a short person and it ain't a'never gonna happen, and that's just fine. I can still appreciate and admire them in art, on friends or my girlfriend, etc. and appreciate my compact body as well.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenni_05
Activist
Member # 17270

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jenni_05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here do you want my hips???
REALLY U CAN HAVE THEM I DON'T WANT EM! LOL

[This message has been edited by Jenni_05 (edited 04-21-2004).]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, there we go. And yes, I admire the large perky breasts of other women (I don't have a boob fetish, I swear ) but I like mine the way they are. It fits my body.

About gaining weight healthily, do whatever is natural for your body. There will be times where your weight will fluctuate a bit, and if you aren't changing your diet drastically and your weight is relatively stable, that should be normal. I'm naturally very thin (no hips here either!), so that infamous "freshman 15" in college didn't get me. It was more of a "freshman 5." Instead, last semester I got the "sophomore -10" or so, and I have no idea why I lost so much weight, but this semester I've been gaining it back. Don't remember doing anything differently, except sleeping more. So, long story short, um, wait until you get to college. Harharhar...

Posts: 218 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.