Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » hair and the terrible things we do to it

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hair and the terrible things we do to it
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not entirely sure that this is the right forum for this, but I also figure that other people (or at least someone, somewhere) must have this question.

I'm to dye my hair. this is not the first time, this is probably not the 50th time. However, it's been dyed turquoise and purple since september, and now I'm trying to dye it orange and red (specifically, the orange over the turquoise and the red over the purple). The old colors are pretty faded, and the red took OK over the purple, but... the orange did not fare so well. thank god i just did a test strip first.

anyway, as those of you who paid attention in kindergarten have probably guessed by now, that particular chunk of hair is now a fairly ugly shade of brown. ew.

so, basically, I need suggestions on how to get the old colors out of my hair. They've been there for two months (as in, I haven't re-dyed since december), yet, they're still going strong. I really, really don't want to bleach again, because that's just a bad idea.

so, any help?

------------------
put your hands on the wheel, let the golden age begin
let the window down, feel the moonlight on your skin
let the desert wind cool your aching head
let the weight of the world drift away instead

these days, i barely get by. i don't even try.

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Color removers exist, though I can't claim any experience with them, so no advice on usage here. However, you're most likely to find them in beauty supply stores, and the people working in such places often have a pretty good idea how the products they're selling work, so do ask if you buy it.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

Daylight is good at arriving at the right time
It's not always going to be this grey

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Manic Panic website states that you can mix up a small amount of bleach mixture and add it to some regular shampoo, and that should be a less abrasive way to strip the colour from your hair.

Here's the hyperlink.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i never successfully deleted colors from my hair without a certain amount of peroxide. you can use a lower-volume bleach. for example, I used 40 volume creme developer with bleach powder to turn my black hair blonde. you can use 10-volume to clean up the orange+blue.

------------------
SPAM: Spare Parts of Assorted Mammals

Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.