Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Working to Much?!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Working to Much?!?
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 9 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I just recently got a job. My second job ever. I am 18 and I work as a seasonal cashier at Toys R Us. I have never worked this much in my life. Now my manager has got me working 7 days in a row from 6 and 1/2 hours a day to 8 hours a day.
I over heard that this other girl I work with wanted next Friday off of work to go to 2 doctors oppts. because she is a diabetic and he would not let her off of work.
The manager is a perverted weirdo guy and I really do not feel comfortable talking to him. At all. I really need a day off of work. I get off of work after getting up at 7 and get off at 5 and come home and sleep. I don't have a life anymore. What can I do? Is he working me to much?
Yesterday a woman was REALLY rude to me and I just broke down. I ran to the bathroom and cried. Two of the assistant managers talked to me and were really nice about it, they said I could go home if I wanted to but I really want to keep this job. So they let me go re-shop and straighten stuff until I got off of work.

What can I do? I'm just so tired, and I really need a life back.

Posts: 76 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best things I learned about the job market was that whether you have a good job or not, you should familiarize yourself with the labour laws in your state/province. My first job ever required me to man a kiosk by myself, with no washroom or lunch breaks (In Ontario, you're required to offer a 30-minute break after six hours of work), for me to do extra work at home under the table, to pay other people who were manning the booth out of my own paycheck, and didn't pay for my training. Since pretty much all of that was illegal, when I quit, I took it up with the Labour Board of Ontario, and got reimbursed for the hours I put in at home, and my training. Several other employees of the same company heard what I did, and demanded all their money too.

If you check out the labour laws for New Jersey, see if working that many hours a week is legal, as well as look into laws regarding days off for medical reasons. Do you get breaks? Are you paid for the overtime hours you put in? Knowing your rights as a worker can help help you immensely; just because you're a teenager working in retail doesn't mean that managers can push you around, especially if what they're doing is against labour laws.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leetle
Neophyte
Member # 11239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leetle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 22 and I was pretty much in the same position you were in a year go. I started at a video store last year. Working 3-4 days a week was fine, then people started calling out, so I started filling in other peoples shifts. Soon I was working 6 days a week posted, and the seventh filling in for other people sometimes even in other stores. If I ever turned down covering a shift, they acted like it was mine to begin with and gave me this huge attitude...

Now I'm a manager and do it to other people

Seriously though... Its not right, and my managers were on power trips. You can find a better job than toys r us. But no retail job will ever treat you right. Remember that. I don't care who your manager is, or the employees, its known all the way to the top that you're just a pawn. You're a working body. They don't care what you're doing, as long as they can delay paying you more than you already make.

I would definitely talk to the manager, and tell him that you can only work a set amount of days. Make up some stupid excuse... Therapy, babysitting your nonexistent brother or sister. They won't fire you for having 2 days in the week where you can't work, its a part time job, you're supposed to have better things to do. If talking to him doesn't work, call human resources, or your district manager.

Posts: 25 | From: long island, ny | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.