Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » finger and toe nails

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: finger and toe nails
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with my nails. They are very, very weak and peel all the time. Well, actually I peel my toenails because they get slits in the and they're just weak. I would love to have strong healthy nails that are long, but when ever they get past the tip of my finger they start peeling.
I just wanted to know if there is anything I can eat or use to really help my nails become strong and durable. And is there anything that I do that makes them more weak? I've used the Almay Flouride nailpolish and that helped as long as I used it everyday, and now I can't even find it! I file my nails thinking that will help them from peeling but it doesn't. Please give me some solution for this problem. Thank you.

Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you getting enough calcium? I know my nails tend to get weaker if I don't have enough in my diet.
Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That may be but I'm a bit afraid of taking calcium because I'm afraid I'll take too much and get kidney stones.
Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eating a balanced diet in general helps with keeping nails and hair strong.

If you aren't opposed to eating animal products, Knox gelatin makes a product called "Knox for Nails" that a friend of mine's mother swears by. It's unflavored gelatin, and you put it in liquid and drink it.

In addition, polishing your nails can make them weaker and more brittle, so it may be a good idea to lay off the nail polish for awhile.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

Do you realize/That everyone you know/Someday/Will die?/And instead of saying all of your goodbyes/Let them know you realize..." - The Flaming Lips

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where could you find this Knox for Nails?
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The grocery store should have it, though I'm not sure where they'd put it; it may even be with the other Knox gelatin stuff, which would be in baking.

You may be able to find it in a pharmacy, as well. I know it was pretty heavily advertised about two years ago, so if you ask around, you should be able to find it.

Barring that, I'm not sure if the "for nails" stuff it has something else in it, but you could always just try plain old Knox unflavored gelatin--my great-grandmother swore by it.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

And when her spirit left her body/How it split the sun/I know that she will live forever/All goes on and on./And she goes/And now she knows she'll never be afraid... - Neutral Milk Hotel

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may actually want to mention this to your doctor or dermatologist too...especially if OTC remedies aren't helping enough. You may be experiencing some sort of fungal nail infection or this might be a symptom of some other problem.

As to your concern about calcium: Like anything else, if you're careful about how much you're getting, you'll most likely be fine. Do you drink alot of milk or other calcium rich product? If you're already getting alot of calcium from your diet, then you probably don't need a suppliment. However, if you are not getting 100% of your daily value, a suppliment would probably be a good idea...especially in light of the problem you're experiencing. As long as you don't go overboard with the calcium (ie. taking 300% or something), then you should be fine.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cathexis
Activist
Member # 5706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cathexis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My nails peel all the time too. But I found out that havinf my naisl painted ALL THE TIME prevents it, specially if they're dark colored. They dont peel that easily and when they do you dont see it, thus you wont have that overwhelming will to peel them.
I am quite proud of my nails now, so I hope it helps you too

Posts: 106 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell, Knox For Nails is just orange flavoured, and contains about a tablespoon of powder per dosage (to be mixed into a glass of water) so if you can't find it, plain ol' Jello might work as well. Do remember that gelatine's an animal product, though.

There are a lot of orange juices out there that contain calcium, too. Tropicana makes one of the varieties in a carton, and I think Minute Maid has a frozen one. That might seem a bit safer and more appealing than a calcium supplement.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

. . .Fearing not that I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preach

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Yes I have tons of juices with calcium and I drink milk when I feel like it. I have the minute maid with calcium and a White cranberry juice with calcium. I've also been eating banannas and more fruit to be more balanced.

I think I'm already seeing an improvement but is it possible for there to be an improvement in about 3 days? My nails seem like theyre becoming longer and a tiny bit thicker. I also have this hand cream that is suppose to help your nails but I hardly ever use it.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.