Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Grumpy every morning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grumpy every morning
Kara Zor-El
Activist
Member # 14499

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Kara Zor-El     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what my major malfunction has been lately. I can't remember the last time I woke up refreshed and happy, excited about the day ahead. I hit the snooze two or three times, I can barely drag my butt out of bed and I just mope around with my coffee until I have to go off to school and/or skating practice. I have so much in my life that I should be happy about but I find it so hard to get excited about things. I'm usually so full of light and love but now I tend more to look at the negative side of things. Sometimes I come off as cold or sad to other people, and I find myself feeling full of fear. I don't know where this is coming from. Does anyone have any advice to help me wake up in a better mood?

Thanks!
Kara

------------------
"If you're going through Hell, keep going..."
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 123 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilaura2003
Neophyte
Member # 14915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilaura2003     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you getting enough sleep? Too much? Everybody is different in that respect. I spent most of my first year at college with severe sleep deprivation and I was just horrible in the mornings (and exhausted and depressed the rest of the time), and just assumed that was the way I was. These days I make sure I get at least 7 hours sleep and I find I'm raring to go when I wake, looking forward to all those things you said you should feel happy about.

ETA: You could try letting yourself wake up naturally. Obviously you have school, but if you find out how long you normally sleep before waking of your own accord at the weekends, you can wake like half an hour before your alarm in the mornings. Much better than being woken by those damn clocks.

[This message has been edited by ilaura2003 (edited 09-30-2003).]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on the getting enough sleep. I just started college and the first week away from home I tried to stay up all night and got no sleep and I turned into a total grump. I try to get to bed as early as I can, and if at midnight I'm not done, I go to bed anyway because I know i'll probalby forget whatever I was reading because I'm so tired.

Also, try to stay on a fairly consistent schedule. If, for example, you stayed up all night on Saturday night and didn't wake up until 2pm on Sunday, going to bed at 10pm and Sunday would be rather difficult because you would have only been awake for 8 hours. Also, staying away from caffiene in the afternoon/evening can help you sleep better.

It might not all be in your sleep patterns though. Are you stressed out? I know my attitude goes down the toilet when I feel like everyone expects someting out of me. When I wake up with a negative attitude, everything kind of falls down with it. Sometimes if my day gets off to a bad start, I tell myself "The rest of my doesn't have to be bad" and I try to smile for a few minutes. I don't remember who did the study, but smiling can actually release "feel-good" chemicals in your brain.

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
molly_hellion
Activist
Member # 15028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for molly_hellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know if your still looking for advice on your question but the same thing happend to me when I hit about 14-15. I am not trying to tell you this is what is wrong with you but I went to my doctor and it turns out I had a disorder called SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder. Which means my brain doesnt produce enough of "the happy chemical" that it needs during the winter months of the year. The sun helps to produce those chemicals. It was so bad that it affected me even when I went to sleep. During the night the chemicals were not being produced because of the lack of light. Which made me REALLY grumpy in the mornings and very hard for me to function.

I started to exercice in the morning to help increase the production of the chemical and tried to get outside as much as possable. I also moved my bed closer to the window so the sun would hit me direclty in the morning. Try eating a better diet and drinking lots of liquids and little things like that. It all helped for me. I still have a late start in the mornings but its ALOT better then before.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.