Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » mosquito bites

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mosquito bites
HoobAPinK
Neophyte
Member # 14016

Icon 5 posted      Profile for HoobAPinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i get mosquito bites all the time and i was just wondering if it was bad to itch them

------------------
*~*DaY By DaY NothinG SeemS To ChangE BuT PrettY SooN EverythinG Is DifferenT*~*

Posts: 36 | From: Bristol, Rhode Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odd_hobbit
Activist
Member # 14516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for odd_hobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
scratching them irritates the skin. I find the more you scratch the itchyer they get too. Tey putting some anti-histamine stuff on them. I dont often get bites but when I do I put a band aid over them so I cant scratch. I find an ice pack can reduce the swelling too.

------------------
-Rhianne
Space Cadet Glow

Posts: 40 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also remember that when you scratch or rub your skin like that you're creating little tears in your tissues which can be open doors for bacteria, dirt, and other nasties. In short, don't scratch. Like odd_hobbit suggested, put some anti-histamine on them and do your best not to scratch - no matter how much it itches.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kittylouise711
Neophyte
Member # 14134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kittylouise711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend Aveeno Anti-itch cream. It is dermatologist recommended and it works wonders for me. You can purchase it at local drug-stores. I also recommend dabbing some rubbing alcohol on the bite. I hear it "cools" it.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my friend has mosquitos, so always licks her finger and puts some saliva on her bites.

I tried it and it actually works. I don't know if it's just a mental thing, try it and see what happens, couldn't hurt right?

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the problem with that, celery, is that if there's a break in the skin, bacteria from your spit can get under your skin.

For those of your with bug bites, please get some calamine lotion at the store. it helps a bit.

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.