Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » What's wrong w/ my hair?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's wrong w/ my hair?!
Atticus Girl
Activist
Member # 13561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atticus Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright this has been occupying my mind for quite some time. I have thick, long, really straight black hair.. and I noticed that after I wash my hair I see little bits of hair sticking out which are a little curly/wavy. I decided to snip out a few to simply examine it.

They're wavy, and thick towards the top of the strand and towards the bottom it gets thinner to a thin looking end. In other hairs just like these, it's thick at the start, then gets thin, back to thick again, with a thin end. What the hell is going on?

I know I should trim every 2 months or so to get rid of split ends, but I'm trying to grow it nice and long to where my non-existant boobs are at

Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jill_bill_is_i
Neophyte
Member # 14190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jill_bill_is_i     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know how it is, my hair is like that. i used to have nice straight hair, and now it curls up if i dont blowdry it or towel dry it. and theyre perfect curls, too. i hate them, but my sisters jealous of me. i suggest you use a heavy conditioner (not only does it make it shiny, but it weighs down your hair to make the curls flatten out) and wrap your hair in a towel till its almost dry, then brush it until its completely dry. though, i dont know much, since my hair is still curly. :-P

------------------
.:<=-JiLL BiLL iS i-=>:.

Granola bars don't beat the kids.

Posts: 3 | From: malden, MA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atticus Girl
Activist
Member # 13561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atticus Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh alright, thank you. But do you happen to know what causes hair to be like that?
Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it could be you've got a little damage, or it could be that your hair is becoming coarser as you age, something that's pretty normal and happens as a lot of folks get older.

Hair which may be en route to becoming grey or already is grey is also like that.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you blow dry your hair a lot, Atticus? I found that when I used to blow dry my hair, sometimes when the dryer was too hot, it would fry a few of the hairs, making them extremely curly. I stopped drying, and voila! No more curly hairs. (If you use a dryer to straighten/smooth your hair, you can use on a cool setting to get that effect without the frying.)
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atticus Girl
Activist
Member # 13561

quote:
Originally posted by wobblyheadedjane:
Do you blow dry your hair a lot, Atticus? I found that when I used to blow dry my hair, sometimes when the dryer was too hot, it would fry a few of the hairs, making them extremely curly. I stopped drying, and voila! No more curly hairs. (If you use a dryer to straighten/smooth your hair, you can use on a cool setting to get that effect without the frying.)

Nope, I never blowdry or do anything like that to my hair. All I do is wash it and comb it. But yeah, back when I used to blowdry it I noticed that those hairs got all wavy and stuff.

Atticus Girl
Activist
Member # 13561

quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Well, it could be you've got a little damage, or it could be that your hair is becoming coarser as you age, something that's pretty normal and happens as a lot of folks get older.

Hair which may be en route to becoming grey or already is grey is also like that.

Yeah, extremely few of the hairs i snipped out were grayish/white. I normally use this horse shampoo (i hear it helps your hair grow faster) since it moisturizes my hair nicely and Selsun Blue to stop the flakes. And I wash about every other day.

What shampoo(s)/conditioner(s) are best to use to repair the damages?

momomo
Activist
Member # 8636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momomo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i dont know about shampoos and conditioners but figure out what exactly is damaging it. if its too dry, get moisturising products. if its too oily, get a product that will dry it....
another reason for the change could be that your hair is changing. I have one friend who just turned 30 and her hair has changed basically every ten years (straight to curly, then blonde to brown, then brown and curly to blonde and wavy.) so its not uncommon, mine has changed too...

Posts: 273 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiamondGirl2K
Activist
Member # 9162

Icon 5 posted      Profile for DiamondGirl2K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a problem with my hair also. A few months ago, I got it permed and the next day I found that I had a big scalp burn in the middle of my head. I was highly upset and blamed it on the perm. The scalp burn has since gone. Well a couple of days ago, I got my hair permed again and the stylist told me I had a missing patch of hair in another spot. I told her it was the perm and she told me that I had a fungus in my hair. I admit that I don't take care of my hair like I should but it gets washed at least twice a month. I believe it is the perm I was using and I will never use that perm again. I was wondering if anyone had any input and could help me out a little? Thanks in advance.

------------------
DiamondGirl
Boogie Black
9~27~01
@<<-----
Still Going Strong!
Forever and Always!

Posts: 137 | From: The Home of The Greatest: NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atticus Girl
Activist
Member # 13561

quote:
Originally posted by momomo:
well i dont know about shampoos and conditioners but figure out what exactly is damaging it. if its too dry, get moisturising products. if its too oily, get a product that will dry it....
another reason for the change could be that your hair is changing. I have one friend who just turned 30 and her hair has changed basically every ten years (straight to curly, then blonde to brown, then brown and curly to blonde and wavy.) so its not uncommon, mine has changed too...

Hmm that's crazy (about your friend), but my hair has been the same throughout the entire 14 years of my life. I've never dyed it at all, the only thing I've done was get highlights which was a year ago.

quote:
Originally posted by jill_bill_is_i: i suggest you use a heavy conditioner (not only does it make it shiny, but it weighs down your hair to make the curls flatten out)

Thank you! That really worked, and the majority of the wire-like, wavy hairs weighed down. I used that Thermasilk stuff and it worked great. Thank you very much!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.