Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Jobs and Piercings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jobs and Piercings
elementgrl
Neophyte
Member # 14030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elementgrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you apply for a job, will they not give you a job because you have piercings?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MASKCOLE
Neophyte
Member # 10716

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MASKCOLE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Element, each job varies as far as what the company standards allow in the work place. I know a piercer (pierces for a living) and she used to work at Old Navy. There, after she got two lip rings, they told her she eitehr had to take one out, or quit... (so she quit), so now she has as many piercings as she wants ... for piercing.... the more, the better. SO as you can see, it varies greatly from company to company. Happy searching! :-)
Posts: 30 | From: Orlando, Fl., U.S.A | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sister's a RN (or she will be after tomorrow -- yea licensing exam!), and at the hospital, piercings have to be kept to a minimum (for health and sanitation purposes) and tattoos need to be concealed. If she worked in a psych ward, it'd be more strict. No tattoos (they can trigger hallucinations in some patients) and no piercings at all because they can cause injury should the nurse be attacked by a deranged patient.

As for me, I'm going to be doing medical school interviews within the next two years or so, and I've been warned that I need to dye my hair back to its normal color and that I can't have any piercings show. medical schools can and will reject me for looking like a cartoon.

I've got a buddy in the military, and he wnats some piercings done, but he can't till his service is up. And yet, tattoos are ok?

Then there's Disneyland. You should see the dress code forworking at Disneyland. Definitely no piercings other than girls having one earring in each ear. No facial hair (uner this rule, Walt Disney himself could not have been employed at Disneyland!). Minimal makeup and jewelry.

Anyway, these are all things to consider when getting a piercing. I know plenty of pierced people, but they get jobs at places like record shops, bars, bookstores, indie coffeehouses (no Starbucks!), and the like. Defintiely ask for a copy of the dress code when you ask for an application for work.

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.