Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Cracking my fingers and two more question.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cracking my fingers and two more question.
kittylouise711
Neophyte
Member # 14134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kittylouise711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. I got into a habit of cracking my fingers, knuckles, toes, neck, etc. A friend told me it causes arthritis, another friend told me it doesn't cause arthritis, and my mom told me it causes big knuckles. I'm not sure who and what to believe. What exactly does cracking body joints cause and doesn't cause.

2. My friend told me that her mom told her gymnasts (female, obviously) cannot get their period because they are too healthy. Is this true?

3. My other friend says that you don't get your period your whole life, that it lasts only about 40-50 years. Yet, to my horror, I saw my Grandma who was 84 at the time holding a pad. Is this true?

Thanks much, and sorry. I keep blabbing about all the questions I need answered and I feel like I am exploding in your faces. This last bit I said could mean nothing to you, yet I wanted to apologize for anything I did wrong (I'm not sure I did, though).

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Here's a link about knuckle cracking that gives a good synopsis-- Go Ask Alice: knuckle cracking There is conflicting evidence out there (try a search engine for "knuckle cracking"), but I think it's safe to say that it's wise to not constantly crack your joints.
2) This is not true--this would mean that healthy women wouldn't menstruate! Anyways, one reason why your friend may think this is true is because there's a possible link between getting to a certain body fat percentage and the beginning of menstruation, menarche. Some competitive female gymnasts (well, many) have a much lower body fat percentage, so they don't get up to that certain body fat level. Also, some gymnasts try to maintain an unhealthily low weight, and not having enough nutrition can definitely result in delaying menstruation.
3. Yup, you don't get your period for your entire life. Otherwise, women would be fertile well into old age, and we do not see, for example, 80 year old women giving birth. The end of menstruation is called menopause. You may have heard of it (there's a raging controversy about treatments for side effects of menopause) before. Many women experience uncomfortable physical and mental side effects during this time, but it's not necessarily horrible. Kind of like menstruation, eh?

It's very likely that your grandma was holding a pad for incontinence--that's when you don't have as much control over your bladder.

Questions are fine, we don't mind.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm living proof that popping your joints increases the size of them. It also hurts like a mother when ya get older. Neck popping is even worse, so stop. Now!
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.