Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » info on piercings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: info on piercings
Member # 12760

Icon 4 posted      Profile for grrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a lot of piercings. i noticed there was a lot of questions about piercing so i thought i'd offer some info.

getting pierced with a gun is always a bad idea. it is very damaging to your body and piercing guns can spread infection. get it done with a needle.

piercing yourself is very rarely a good idea. chances are you have no idea what you're doing and you don't have the proper tools. go to a professional. if you really want the piercing, you should be willing to hand over some cash.

when cleaning piercings, the best thing to use is one cup warm water with a teaspoon of sea salt. soak the piercing in this. or soak some tissue in it and put it on the piercing.

for TONS of reliable info, check out **Edited for explicit content**

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 07-20-2003).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know we've got tons of piercing threads, but i want to put all GOOD piercing info in one thread, so i'm gonna keep this open.

(if you come in saying a big safety pin and some tap water make for piercing fun, I'll delete it before you have the chance to blink)

So folks, bring out your favorite disinfectants, recommended body mod shops (city and url would be nice to have), your experiences with properly done piercings (no more "I borrowed my dad's staple gun and boy that was a bad idea!"), and links to good sites that are not age restricted.

more surly than girly...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 13914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zipposskippashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep i only have my ears done. i got them done at Claires and they gave me a bottle of aniseptic(sp?) and that worked just fine.

but, if they were feeling irritated or especially crusty i would just use some Peroxide. cuts through the crust like a hot knife through butta

Posts: 7 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 12311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CareBears87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, i hope this is considered a "good" post to add to this thread....

I just got my belly button peirced last week for my bday and i really recomend getting it professionally done if your going to do is much safer. here is a like to the place that i went and i only went there bc i heard nothing but good things about the place and how well they do with keeping everything clean and ect. i don't know exactly where ones are located but they have a "map" on the site and also links to other really acreditable places. hope i didn't say nething bad or wrong if i did u can edit or delete as need be...but i hope i was some help to people.

Love Always

Posts: 8 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, peroxide, betadine, etc are very irritating to piercings and unnecessary. I got my nipple pierced about 2 months ago. I am leaving it alone, except to rinse off the crusties in the shower. Occasionally, I might soak it in salt water (no saltier than my tears, a very small pinch of salt in a cup of water) when it feels a bit itchy. No antibacterial soap, no gunk, no nothing. It stopped bothering me after 3 days except for the occasional irritation when I bump it. It seems to be quite far along in the healing: it doesn't crust too much anymore, and the edges are nicely rounded in. I feel fairly certain that if I had used antibac soap or other gunk, it would be pretty angry right now.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got my nose pierced at Ink Link in Gastonia, NC. It was a very clean shop, spelt kinda likea hospital. I picked out my ring, and she got it outta the kits, all rings and equipment seperatly wrapped, and we went into the piercing room, never letting that thing outta my sight. My best advice to keep your eyes open and watch everything your piercer is doing, if they wash their hands, use gloves (change gloves also) use sterile equipment, etc.
Also research your place, you can get infor from your health department, word of mouth, check out porfolios (pictures not flash), etc. You can ask to do a sit in on someone else piercing or tat. If they don't have an autoclave (machine used to clean equipment) then MAKE DARN SURE they are using desposible needles, etc.

Edited in: WOOHOOO I actually got the link to work, go me! I'm no longer computer illeterate

"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

[This message has been edited by youcancallmepunk (edited 07-21-2003).]

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elementgrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have your industrial piercing?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 10716

Icon 7 posted      Profile for MASKCOLE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ELement: I want to get my industrial pierced SOOOO bad!!! (I have to wait a couple more months b4 I turn 18. I don't even care about the pain everyone claims to be put thru... I want it so bad :-)
Posts: 30 | From: Orlando, Fl., U.S.A | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 13887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angeleyes11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 4 holes in one ear and 3 in the other. I find rubbing alcolhol works sooo good on my ears. (the stuff from claires didnt work cause I have super sensitive ears and can only wear gold) When I get infections I use peroxide and let it stay on for a sec and bubble and clean it for a bit and then rinse it off. Usually works well!

Posts: 37 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that alcohol and peroxide are really too harsh for piercings, and are likley contributing to your skin being so sensitive. I thought Kite's advice was pretty good, and you might find it helpful, too.

Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14134

Icon 7 posted      Profile for kittylouise711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got my ears pierced I had them done at Claire's and all that they gave me was a bottle of antiseptic. Here's a word of advice, DO NOT TIGHTEN YOUR EARRING! I would always tighten it, thinking it would fall off, and what would happen was my ear lobe would swell up. Well, having no place to go, my ear lobe went right up to the tip of my earring and scabbed over. WELL! I had to painfully push the earring out of its enclosed area. OUCH! Just thought I would warn you, before you make the mistake.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.